Ancient TiVo question --Philips PTV100? (Series 1) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-10-2008, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Since I'm a ReplayTV guy myself (have a lifetime 45xx series), I'm not all that familiar with the older TiVo models. Hopefully, someone has/had one of these, so I can ask a question or two.

My father-in-law has turned the words "couch potato" into an art form. He's very into his TV; that said, he's not going to be going to HD content any time soon. He uses Charter cable.

I may have a chance to pick up a lifetime-subscription Series 1 TiVo (Philips PTV100) for a relatively inexpensive price. I know they're old by modern standards, standard-def with composite video, but those would be the correct connections for what we'd need to do with his setup.

Assuming the unit is in reasonable condition, how well do these units work? Aside from high-def, is there any major features they are lacking over newer models?

Also, how easy is it to obtain the OS image for the unit and software tools (preferably freeware ones) to upgrade the hard drive? I've done so twice in my Replay (went from 40 to 80 to 250GB), and I'm guessing the PTV100's original drive is a little small, though I don't need anything gigantic.

Finally, about how long does it take to download updates for the EPG over a standard phone line? I've never had to with my Replay, since it has an RJ-45 port. I don't want to put a lot of money into hacking on a network card onto the unit, so phone-line is going to be it; I have to make sure it doesn't tie up their line too long, unless it can be done late at night.

Thanks for any help y'all can provide; it is much appreciated.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 AM

I worked for Philips Tivo way back in the day well before the Series 2 was even a thought... That being said, the quality control on the early model was spotty at best... The first year after launch we would have to RMA about a dozen boxes per week (and keep in mind that there were relatively few early adopters in the first year)...
If you can get a screaming deal (less than $100) what do you have to lose... The software is upgradeable and all you have to worry about is the modem or HD failing...
post #3 of 5 Old 05-01-2008, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

I actually got the box (with lifetime) for $50. Since it has been in use for a long time, I'd say it probably came from a "good" batch. The owner demonstrated it to me before I paid, so that I'd know it was still working.

I also figured that at some point, it might be possible to use the unit to "upgrade" to Tivo's lifetime deal with a Series 3 HD unit; if so, at that point I might give the father-in-law my Replay.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

I have had a first generation Tivo that has been running without a hitch for 7 years! It has been used for over-the-air analog TV, Voom and Comcast cable. It went into service before Voom was even an idea on a napkin, yet it was ready for use with the Voom set-top box when the Voom antenna was hoisted. I am just starting to consider replacing it with the Tivo HD. I feel Tivo is one of the best executed technological offerings ever!
post #5 of 5 Old 06-26-2008, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I set it up on Father's Day, and my father-in-law is one happy camper. I don't find the on-screen user interface quite as intuitive as the ReplayTV, but the remote is as simple as it gets, and so was the manual (not necessary for me, but a real benefit for the user). I can't complain for the $50 it cost; as long as he stays with analog cable, he should be fine. Thanks, everyone.

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page