SA8300 HDC VCR issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-05-2008, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't record a time-shifted program to my VCR without getting a DVI connector warning (with no program being recorded), even though I don't have a DVI connector anywhere. Non time-shifted programs (real time) I can record OK.

Samsung HDTV is connected to the SA8300 HDC DVR with a HDMI connector. JVC combo DVD/VCR is connected thus: DVD outputs to HDTV with component cables, VCR outputs to HDTV with coax, coax output from the SA8300HDC to the VCR combo input. Cable provider is TW-Cincinnati.

Here's what happens:
If I have a live program on the TV, either SD or HD, I can record to the VCR. Obviously the recorded program is in SD on the VCR since it can't record HD. No warning prompts or problems. If I have the TV off and try to record a program that's on in the middle of the night (for instance, a HDnet movie) then the program doesn't record, and all I get recorded is the DVI connector warning. Same thing happens if I start a recording with the TV on and then turn it off.

I know the HDMI has mechanisms to prevent recording of HD content (HDCP) but it seems odd that it also somehow prevents copying that content to SD material.

I think the problem is the HDMI connector from the SA8300 HDC to the HDTV and if I connect them with component cables instead of the HDMI it'll work ok. Does this sound right?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-08-2008, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As I suspected the entire problem was with the HDMI cable; not that it was defective, just that TW and the SA8300HDC and the Samsung HDTV don't know how to properly talk with one another when using it. I disconnected the HDMI cable, installed component cables and audio cables between the SA8300HDC and the Samsung HDTV & am now able to record from the HD or SD signal to the VCR.

This cable change also fixed my problem with having to turn the TV on multiple times in order to get it to display the cable signal, a recent (2 months or so) development with TW here in Cincinnati.

Appears that HDMI is not ready for prime time yet, at least here.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page