Brighthouse 8300HDC blues. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-16-2008, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

You could say I'm a bit crazy about time shifting. I started out with a standalone series 2 Tivo, then a DirecTivo, an Explorer 8300, and then an 8300HD and now unfortunately an 8300HDC.

I am writing to warn anyone who is currently a Brighthouse customer who either has an 8300 or 8300 HD or is a potential customer. Not only do I not want this box, I am trying to prevent the unsuspecting subscriber from sharing my fate. Since my beloved 8300HD died in January they exchanged it with this garbage. They call it the 'OCAP box'. I call it the 'Oh Crap!' box.

Here in central Florida we have the Mystro software. Admittedly I have not seen the Navigator software in action, but it couldn't be any worse. The current Mystro software has more bugs than a Chinese buffet. Among the items I have found so far:
  1. The performance of the device is far slower than previous models. OFTEN, I am waiting for the DVR to catch up, or obey simple commands such as pause or rewind. Many times these commands are stacked, and applied one after another after the DVR catches back up causing a momentary lapse of control. This is a major flaw.
  2. Sevreal times the DVR has stopped responding temporarily, and lost picture while waiting for video. This is a major flaw.
  3. I can no longer search for recordings by keyword. Searching in general is clumsy and much worse.
  4. I can no longer record 1,2, 4, or 6 episodes of a series, only 3,5 or 7. WHO THE HECK THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?
  5. I can no longer specify a specific channel, day, time, or weekend when recording a series.
  6. I can no longer change the recording priority of a series within a list. (according to Brighthouse I have to delete the list and save everything in the priority I want them recorded).
  7. I can no longer change the amount of time a recording is saved interactively.
  8. Guide graphics are primitive, and not as good as previous model. Color scheme is ugly.
  9. DVR performance is severely impacted when a program is starting, or stopping on another tuner, and often stops responding for several seconds.
  10. The DVR does not always alert me when a new recording displaces a previously scheduled recording.
  11. Occasionally the playlist items such as (play, restart, delete)are missing for unknown reasons.

I recently got in touch with one of the engineers and discussed these issues. It was both an interesting, and dismaying conversation. While I did get to vent some, I found out that many of these items will not be fixed until Q4 if at all.They tell me that eventually I will be able to order pizzas and other items from my DVR. I asked them what good it was if I can't watch TV on it. I can order a pizza from my phone.

I called up and pleaded to exchange this unti for an older 8300HD. Their CSR lied to me and told me that they would exchange it if I brought it to their warehouse. I am fairly certain she just wanted to get me off the phone. I have also noticed that their 'demonstration centers' have the older 8300HD, and not the newer 8300HDC.

I am currently shopping for another provider, and wish everyone in my predicament the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I feel your pain man! My 8300HD started becoming flakey and was replaced with a 8300HDC. I agree with everything in your list.

I've only had it a week, so I'm hoping I'll get a software update soon. I noticed that the HDC box boots up with a "Powered by Java" logo. No wonder it is dog slow...
post #3 of 16 Old 05-03-2009, 08:00 AM

So frustrated...don't know where to start.

Most recently, we've had BH techs visit us three times in the past 30 days.

Our 8300HDC DVR box was swapped twice with "refurbs", then the latest visit (featuring a senior technician) left us with a "brand new" 8300HDC & remote.

Here's the gist:

On four different occasions, we used the guide to program box to record Lifetime, but end up with CNBC.

Also set to record TCM several times, but ended up with one of the cartoon channels.

I've rebooted the boxes (pull power plug, wait 10 sec, then wait ~5 minutes for bootup) so many times I've lost count.

I feel it will be a waste of time to call BH again.

Today's Sunday paper has a $300 savings offer from Embarq for a package consisting of Dish Network, Embarq local & long distance phone & high speed internet. I'm VERY SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING dumping BH.

Am I the only one experiencing these problems?

=========

I've attached screen shots of 2 of the many errors we've experienced. Spoke with BH rep today. He stated that he had never seen a case of "mixed up" recordings like the examples I've attached.
LL
LL
post #4 of 16 Old 05-20-2009, 05:32 PM

Anyone have a clue why our "new" 8300HDC DVR box can't record show accurately?

BH Advanced Tech can't seem to figure it out.
LL
LL
post #5 of 16 Old 07-11-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman697 View Post

Anyone have a clue why our "new" 8300HDC DVR box can't record show accurately?

BH Advanced Tech can't seem to figure it out.

Just got a 8300HDC as a replacement for a 8300HD, and I kind of share your pain, different but mostly not in a positive fashion. But one thing I did notice, is that in setting up to do a recording, it sometimes gets confused as to the channel. The cursor is on a different channel, one up or down, from the one the display indicates is to be recorded. Quite probably not your problem, but it does make one wonder what the unit thinks it is to record, could be related. Obviously pretty buggy software on the box, I wonder why they changed it.

Paul Jones
post #6 of 16 Old 09-21-2009, 02:02 PM

Same here on all counts. I experienced every single one of these issues.

Why doesn't support realize that sending a tech out or replacing the box will do NOTHING to fix a software bug???

I tried explaining that logic to them just now over the phone and they couldn't wrap their minds around even the POSSIBLITY that there's an issue in the software and had no way of escalating my issue any further.

I even got one of the new Samsung units, brand spanking new and its the same crappy software and the exact same bugs and poor performance.

Has anyone had any luck getting any of these items addressed or getting further up the chain?
post #7 of 16 Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 AM

Oh, Lord. I came here looking for positive news. I relocated amd wanted to use the local company (BrightHouse, Melbourne, FL). Previously I had DISH and thought it was great.

I have the 8300 HDC and am so frustrated by how slow it is.

These are my biggest gripes:
1) Every operation is s-l-o-w. I am really angry at the lag between pressing a key and it responding. Usually there is no feedback whatsoever that a key was pressed. I usually just wait (and wait) - at first I would pres the key again, but it would then eventually stack the responses (which often goes on to do a different operation);
2) No skip-forward 30 seconds or back 10 seconds. Oh, how I miss this. The general "fast forward" or "back six seconds" are so unresponsive that it is usually a waste of time trying to accurately move through a program. On Dish, these operations were instantaneous with no lag at all.
3) Max "fast forward" at 30x. A real issue if you want to skip more than an hour of a program, for example. Dish was 300x.
4) Searching is a complete joke. On Dish, I could search for "Manchester City" within the category of "Soccer", and it would list them in date order from now forward. Attempting the same is a hair-pulling experience, which I have not been able to accomplish. The results of a search of "soccer" is just a rambling list of useless titles - each one needs to be opened to see what it is. Soooo slow.
5) Recordings cannot automatically resolve to the next showing. On Dish, if a program cannot be recorded becuase both tuners are being used, it will automatically find the next showing of that episode and record it. I have missed so many programs I could scream.
6) Tiny HD. Why is the HD so small? HD prices are so cheap that a TerraByte HD shold be the minimum.
7) I was told that an external drive cannot be added. Why? This is 2009, not 1999.
8) Show Guide: I have a huge HD set, but the program guide is like watching an old Commodore Vic20 computer. The screen layout is so badly designed that I can see so little information. On Dish, I could select different layouts that could take advantage of higher resolution tvs.
9) Show Guide: does not show the "episode number" for a series. This was really handy on Dish to quickly distinguish episodes.

I could go on and on, this thing is such a piece of junk.

Unless I can get assurances that some new software is on the way that brings us out of the last century, I'll have no option but to get satellite installed.

I am a software programmer myself and just cannot understand how such utter cr@p can get released. Surely the engineers look at competing software on Dish/DirecTv and get a baseline? Heck, I had a Microsft system years ago that was head and shoulders above this POC. Argh!
post #8 of 16 Old 03-06-2010, 06:51 PM

There's no end to it. Every box I have had has ended in the same result. A non-functioning box, and disappointment. I've had the Scientific Atlanta, Samsung and now the latest Cicso, which according to BH is the latest and greatest system has now failed. I get OCAP message on the display and nothing on the TV. I have tried rebooting by unplugging and by the buttons and nothing works. The operator tried to send the over the air reboot, but that didn't work either.

They are sending someone out tomorrow, but is there no end to this? Is it the equipment and the software that sucks or is it the signal too? The picture itself is good, when it is working.

Also, I can't get a 1080p signal to my TV. It's a 1080p capable TV but I can only select 1080i. The tech told me to select 720p on the DVR and it will still be 1080p to my TV which makes no sense.

Is there any end to this crap?
post #9 of 16 Old 03-06-2010, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Only a few DVR chips are capable of 1080p. The 8300HDC isn't one of them. The newer DVR's support 1080p24 and 1080p30 but not 1080p60. Broadcom has a new chip that supports 1080p60 but no DVR actually has it.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-06-2010, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photothug View Post

There's no end to it. Every box I have had has ended in the same result. A non-functioning box, and disappointment. I've had the Scientific Atlanta, Samsung and now the latest Cicso, which according to BH is the latest and greatest system has now failed. I get OCAP message on the display and nothing on the TV. I have tried rebooting by unplugging and by the buttons and nothing works. The operator tried to send the over the air reboot, but that didn't work either.

They are sending someone out tomorrow, but is there no end to this? Is it the equipment and the software that sucks or is it the signal too? The picture itself is good, when it is working.

Also, I can't get a 1080p signal to my TV. It's a 1080p capable TV but I can only select 1080i. The tech told me to select 720p on the DVR and it will still be 1080p to my TV which makes no sense.

Is there any end to this crap?

The Cisco 8640HDC also supports 1080p30 and 1080p24.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-29-2010, 10:35 AM

4 boxes, 20 calls, 10,000 reboots later, my 8300HDC is official garbage and I feel lucky because I have less problems then some of the posts listed here. The software before this Mystro thing invaded my cable box was not really too bad, guess I was lucky. Was going to put an external eSata drive, good thing I checked, only works with Sara, need to see the A, B & C buttons on the bottom when you open the info menu.
Good luck, things may change??????
post #12 of 16 Old 04-02-2010, 12:05 AM

I'm stuck with Brighthouse as well. Swapped my 8300 and still get" channel unavailable".

Do you guys think a Tivo box would work good with Brighthouse? I'm willing to shell out the cash as long as it will work well. I'm just afraid I'll be getting a new set of problems with Brighthouse after I buy the Tivo box due to the horrible service.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-08-2010, 05:41 PM

I'm in the Tampa Bay area and hated it when BHN changed the software for their DVR's. They rolled out the software upgrade based on serial numbers on the box. So we had one box that had the old software and one box with the new software. The new software sucks ass if you ask me.

We got Tivo (2) to replace the BHN boxes and they've worked fine for about 9 months and now the Tivo's are acting up. The Tivo's are a lot nicer to program and find shows.

FWIW, the BHN techs are clueless when it comes to Tivo, cable cards installation, etc. so good luck with that. And if you do have any issues with the service plan on both Tivo and BHN to point fingers at each other blaming the other guy.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 AM

Liked: 18
I would like to introduce myself....

My name is Gary and I recently joined the Corporate Social Media Team at Bright House Networks as their Online Forums Manager. Some of you may already know me as Ispgeek here and other communities on the web however effective today my username will change to BHNtechXpert.

The purpose behind this is to give everyone a consistent username across all online communities and to make it easy for you to identify that you are in fact speaking to an official representative of the company. My contact information will also be made available to each of these communities and I will also be working closely with each community operator to ensure that no question or situation is left unanswered.

In the past year Bright House Networks has fully embraced Social Media (Twitter, Facebook) as a powerful tool to interact with and support our customers in near real-time. Your response to these enhanced interaction options has been nothing less than amazing. The next evolutionary step for the Bright House Networks Social Media program includes reaching out to online forums, blogs and other unique and exciting forms of online communication to be announced soon and this is where I come into the picture.

My reach will include the entire Bright House Networks footprint (Florida, Alabama, Indiana, Michigan and California). If you have a technical issue, concern or anything that might cause your experience with Bright House Networks to be anything less than outstanding...or if you have a comment, suggestion or feedback on how we can improve our services or processes to better meet your needs I want to know about it.

In addition to the above I'll also keep you up to date on all the latest and greatest technology and services Bright House Networks has to offer including an occasional taste of coming soon technology and services and how to best utilize them in your busy lifestyles.

I receive immediate updates from each of these communities and I will normally respond to inquires quickly. Feel free to private message me anytime and I look forward to working with you.

~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~
post #15 of 16 Old 12-06-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiFusion View Post

Oh, Lord. I came here looking for positive news. I relocated amd wanted to use the local company (BrightHouse, Melbourne, FL). Previously I had DISH and thought it was great.

I have the 8300 HDC and am so frustrated by how slow it is.

These are my biggest gripes:
1) Every operation is s-l-o-w. I am really angry at the lag between pressing a key and it responding. Usually there is no feedback whatsoever that a key was pressed. I usually just wait (and wait) - at first I would pres the key again, but it would then eventually stack the responses (which often goes on to do a different operation);

This might be a long shot but, is the box hooked up to a plasma TV. When I had cablevision's motorola dvr I had the same problem after I bought a new Panasonic plasma. I did some research and found out if I put a piece of tape over the IR sensor on the box it would work fine. That didn't make any sense to me but, it had something to do with interference put out from the plasma screen. That was back in Jan. 2008 and a year later switched to FIOS but, I can't recall if I had the same problem, I've moved since then and don't have the problem with the new FIOS boxes. If you do have a plasma, one way to test it is moved the box far away from the tv & try the remote or hook the box to a different type of tv. I think it was a problem mostly with panasonic plasma. Good luck.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 AM

Here Here
I have brighthouse. I have complained about many of the 'awesome' behaviors of the DVR.
1. I type in a channel, soon (but not real soon) it begins to respond.
2. I press a button (service request) like last channel, nothing; I think maybe the command did not get received, so I press it
a few more times; 30-40 seconds later it swaps back and forth.
3. OFTEN if I press record on a program I am watching, it shows record I come back to see it and it is 1second
4. EVERYTHING I do is SLOW. I have had technicians out MANY times (BTW they are often very helpful and nice) but
how do you support a product that SUCKS.

And the best part is they don't care or notice, they always tell me about there 'service rewards'. They my suck less than
the other service, but they charge a premium, I pay over $200 a month, monopolies suck.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page