E* DVR question about padding/overlap... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-27-2008, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got DISH this weekend (because my beloved UltimateTV boxen had become aged and infirm; one dead, one dying, and Dtv wouldn't replace them with freebies) - nailed an HD DVR, and an SD DVR (a 625 model, I believe).

The interface is a little wonky - I mean, the search screen is weird (the ability to use "cell phone code" instead of the virtual keyboard to type in search terms is cool, but why am I limited to 16 characters? Why, when I hit "done", doesn't it do my search - instead, forcing me to go to the previous screen and hit "get results"? Why, if I click on a result that's actually showing right now, does it just dump me in that channel instead of popping up the "create a timer" menu? Why is "show schedule" showing where I deleted Timers? Etc), but capable.

But I am running into a little problem. Let's say I have two back-to-back shows scheduled to record on the same channel - say, Show 1, Channel 1 goes from 7pm to 8pm, and Show 2, Channel 1 goes from 8pm to 9pm. Now, I've got a 5 minute "pad" as my default - Show 1 will be recorded on Channel 1 from 6:55pm to 8:05 pm, and Show 2 will be recorded on Channel 1 from 7:55pm to 9:05pm. So you can see, there's a 10 minute overlap between the two Shows between 7:55pm and 8:05pm.

Now, let's say there's a third show I want to record on a different channel - Show 3, Channel 2 - and it runs from 8pm to 9pm (same time slot as Show 2, Channel 1). Because of the overlap between Show 1 and Show 2, both tuners are in use from 8pm to 8:05pm, and so it says "conflict" and won't record Show 3, Channel 2.

Which is dumb; isn't there any way to tell it "if watching back-to-back shows on the same channel, don't pad the adjacent endpoints and uselessly "steal" a tuner"? My HTPC with BeyondTV is smart enough to do that... Does this have something to do with running in "Single mode" instead of "Dual mode" (this behavior occurred when in Dual mode; I've switched to Single mode, but haven't had time yet to see if the same behavior occurs - I've only currently got a single TV hooked up to this DVR so I'm free to stay in single mode).

And if the worse case scenario exists and I have to manually find those situations to correct them, is there any sort of a "show upcoming conflicts" screen at all to make that chore a little easier?

--KS
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page