DirecTV HR21 vs HR20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-29-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I had three HD DVRs - two HR20-100s and a HR20-700. The 700 died and DirecTV sent me the black HR21-700.

I understand the 21s don't have OTA tuners, but that's not a big deal for me. I've learned that the 21s have a built-in RF, which is very cool.

Anything else? Some other topics state the 21s are more likely to crash, and that the 21s have 300G vs 320G for the HR20s. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Other than the OT tuner, there's really no difference. The 21's have a 320G HD as you mentioned, but so do some of the HR20-700's. There's no evidence of one being more durable than the other.

Both units have RF capabilities. The only other difference is color: 21's are black, 20's are silver.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #3 of 4 Old 06-04-2008, 09:12 AM

I was talking to a colleague in the A/V business yesterday, and he told me he had his first run-in with the newer slimline 5-LNB dish, which now supports single-line distribution through an 1 x 8 switch! His understanding is that the HR21s are the only model to support the single line support of both tuners. Also, no need for those pesky b-band converters. So, seems like moving forward we don't have to worry as much about having two cables available for the DVRs. One downside, though, is that there is only a 1 x 8 switch available right now, so no way to go to the 9th receiver. BTW, if anyone has more info or confirmation of this info, please post it!
post #4 of 4 Old 06-05-2008, 09:04 PM

Its called SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) and is in test markets right now. The one that is built into the dish is the "SWMLine" LNB.

Very cool stuff as it can be split with normal splitters and anywhere in the line even multiple times. Great for bringing satellite into a home wired for antenna or cable.

It works with the HR21 and HR20, along with some of the other newer receivers like the H21.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page