Directv HD DVR HDMI vs COMPONENT? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am going to get the HD DVR service from Directv this month but my Samsung TV only has two HDMI ports being used by PS3 and XBOX 360 at the moment. Now my question, do I need to buy an HDMI splitter to connect the Directv HD DVR or will the component output be sufficient? If the recommended thing is to go all HDMI, which splitter is highly recommended?

dja2k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-09-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Personally, I see no difference between HDMI and component from my HR20-700 to either my previous Toshiba 52hm84 720p DLP or my current Pioneer Kuro 5010, when both inputs are calibrated. However, HDMI switchers are fairly cheap and reliable on monoprice.com, so you can be the judge. And, you need a switch, not a splitter (which sends one signal to two displays). Once you get the HD-DVR, try hooking both HDMI (use your PS3 or Xbox cable) and component up simultaneously (they both output at the same time) and switch back and forth, and see if you see a difference. That'll answer your question.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #3 of 4 Old 06-09-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Yeah that answered my question and sorry yep I meant switch. I know there are fairly priced units but all have various good and bad comments, so I don't know what to choose. I am probably getting that same unit you have for Directv HD DVR as well.

dja2k
post #4 of 4 Old 06-09-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
If you decide to get a switch, PM me. I've got three (two of the 1.3 compliant units and never opened) that I'm not using. I'll swing you a deal.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page