Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So....I have:

HDTV(Samsung 4061)
Digital Cable Box(Rogers)
DVD Recorder(Phillips DVDR3575)

I'm having a crazy time trying to hook these bad boys up. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I have HDMI cables, RGB cables(I think they are called Composite Cables?), and basically anything else I need. I just don't know how to hook them up.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
The cables with red,green,blue connectors are called "component" cables, capable of 480i,480p,720p,1080i formats.
"Composite" is the older single yellow connector cable, only capable of 480i SD format.

If your sources (cable box and dvd) and HDTV support HDMI then HDMI is the best to try if there are no compatbility issues. If your cable box model doesn't have HDMI you might ask your cable company if they have another model (maybe an HD DVR) that does support HDMI.

If a source doesn't have HDMI, it might have the older DVI output which is like HDMI but only video and there are DVI to HDMI cables available, however it would require an additional red/white stereo audio cable as well in that case.

If HDMI or DVI is not available on a source unit, if component (red/green/blue connectors) is available, it could be used but it also requires a separate red/white audio cable.

Component is an analog signal and not quite as "pure" as the digital signal available with HDMI and DVI. The red/white stereo audio cable is also an analog signal. With HDMI both video and audio are provided on a single cable and both are digital signals, its the newest most advanced format.

I personally have an HDTV hooked up to a cable box with HDMI and a upconverting DVD player with HDMI. I got the HDMI cables for low prices from monoprice (a forum sponsor) and they worked great with my new Panasonic TH-46PX80U plasma HDTV.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Great info. My cable box is an HD box(it does have and HDMI port).This is how I've set it up:

-cable(from wall) to Rogers HD box. HDMI cable out of Rogers box to TV
-Component cables out of Rogers Box to IN on DVD recorder. HDMI out of DVDR to HDTV
-Lastly, my surround sound system is connected to the HDTV via optical cable.

So is my setup similar to yours?? I ask because I find the when I watch TV through the DVD recorder, the picture is not nearly as good as when I just watch through the cable box(it doesn't seem like HD). What am I doing wrong???
Old 06-26-2008, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I only watch TV direct thru the HDMI from the HD-DVR cable box (SA8300HD) with great quality. I have my DVD player and cable box each connected with optical cables to my surround receiver, also get stereo audio direct to the TV for non-critical audio for some channels.

A DVD recorder is not HD so will degrade video down to SD only, so thats expected. It can only record in SD.
Renting an HD-DVR from the cable company would be preferred for recording HD programs rather than a DVD recorder which can only record in down-converted SD.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by collector992003 View Post

So....I have:

HDTV(Samsung 4061)
Digital Cable Box(Rogers)
DVD Recorder(Phillips DVDR3575)

I'm having a crazy time trying to hook these bad boys up. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I have HDMI cables, RGB cables(I think they are called Composite Cables?), and basically anything else I need. I just don't know how to hook them up.

Any suggestions?

Here's a post on connecting the 3575 up with a cable box (1st sketch).

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! This link was EXACTLY what I needed. All work perfectly now!!!