directv tivo-directv hd dvr - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-28-2008, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I,m going to upgrade my directv service to HD. My question is currently I have the directv tivo and love it, but I DO WANT HD NOW, having to go with directv dvr has brought up some questions to me, most everyone say's directv dvr isn't as good as tivo, but when I read the discription of the dvr it sounds like it's the same as tivo , has season pass, menu,ect... what are the detailed differences that make the directv dvr not as good? is it reliability,different features? never have heard a clear detailed review of why it's not as good. switching soon and getting a little nervous about losing my good old reliable tivo. any feedback would be helpful, thank's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-28-2008, 09:44 PM

Hi, I upgraded to the DirecTV HD dvr in May, replacing a Philips DirecTV Tivo. So far having HD has been worth the features lost on Tivo. The biggest missing feature for me is that the HR20-100 doesn't have dual line buffers. With Tivo I could pause a show I was watching live and switch to the other tuner and watch another show, than pause and go back and forth. With the HR20-100 you have to start recording one of the shows, than you can go back and forth. You have the option of using either 30 second slip or 30 second skip so you still have the ability to jump through commercials when watching recorded shows. You can add a larger drive using the esata port on the back, but you give up the internal drive when you do. All in all, while I miss the interface from Tivo, the additional features and HD content make up for it.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-27-2008, 11:34 AM

cummingsdl, I'm at the same decision point. What about using an external HD TiVo unit with the non-DVR DirecTV HD receiver? Anyone using this type of setup?
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page