Can I use a Multiswitch like this? (DirecTV) - AVS Forum
Digital Recorders (PVRs) General > Can I use a Multiswitch like this? (DirecTV)
ispeck's Avatar ispeck 08:26 PM 06-30-2008
So I split DirecTV with my neighbors. I have one HD DVR and they have one SD DVR. They just bought a new LCD TV and they want to upgrade to HD DVR on it of course. However, they also want to keep the SD DVR hooked up to the old TV in another room.

Now, they live upstairs from me and it's a big PITA to run more cable up to their apartment. Can I get a Zinwell multiswitch and ONLY hook up the two cables that currently run up to their apartment into it to allow for two separate DVR boxes in their place OR do I HAVE to hook ALL FOUR cables that currently run from the dish into the multiswitch for it to work?

Basically, we will have two cables coming straight from the dish into my HD DVR downstairs, and two cables going upstairs, into a multiswitch and then splitting into two DVRs up there. Will this work?

I appreciate any help.

Edit: Also are these multiswitches powered? Are they safe for outdoor use?

bonedoc2be's Avatar bonedoc2be 03:02 PM 07-12-2008
im pretty sure you need all 4 going to the switch first. and yes, you can a multiswitch that is ok for outdoor use and is unpowered. make sure its grounded properly
R8ders2K's Avatar R8ders2K 11:36 PM 07-21-2008
May I suggest would be to consider changing your Zinwell multi-switch to a Single Wire Module 8 (SWM8). It's available right now from Solid Signal for about $150.00.

The SWM8 will allow you to use a SINGLE wire to the latest D* DVRs. That way, you don't have to worry about running 2 wires to the newer HD DVRs. You can use Skywalker (SKY23302D or SKY23304D) splitters for additional receivers (up to 8). You can also diplex OTA with the SWM8 (Channel Master CM4002IFD as the combining diplexer and CM4001IFD as a splitting diplexer).

Hope this helps.
ispeck's Avatar ispeck 06:02 PM 08-26-2008
When you say run a single wire to the DVR, do you mean I don't have to connect two cables to the two tuner inputs? or do I run one wire from the SWM switch and then split it near the DVR?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8ders2K View Post

May I suggest would be to consider changing your Zinwell multi-switch to a Single Wire Module 8 (SWM8). It's available right now from Solid Signal for about $150.00.

The SWM8 will allow you to use a SINGLE wire to the latest D* DVRs. That way, you don't have to worry about running 2 wires to the newer HD DVRs. You can use Skywalker (SKY23302D or SKY23304D) splitters for additional receivers (up to 8). You can also diplex OTA with the SWM8 (Channel Master CM4002IFD as the combining diplexer and CM4001IFD as a splitting diplexer).

Hope this helps.

damon's Avatar damon 12:17 PM 07-12-2011
I'm bringing this one back up cause I need help!! More than willing to pay for all service on my own account for receivers in my house but I am in a situation where I have no sight line to the Satellites required for reception & I am not going to cut down any of the three, 50ft trees in my yard.

I have an amenable neighbor & wish to diagram the way to utilize his new DirectTv sat antenna for the 3 receivers I would like to have in my house while causing him no performance impact. I should not have to punch any new holes in either home thanks to crap the cable company did decades ago & am looking for a non-powered switch solution. One switch in his attic & one in mine (powered ok there) sounds fine but how exactly?
Up
Mobile  Desktop