TIVO Spyware / Monopolist Scum - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-20-2008, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I ran into a friend the other day who works for a data collection and processing firm; he is also an HT enthusiast. We talked about TIVO and he informed me that TIVO is now selling the consumer data that it collects to marketers. TIVO, apparently, collects more data on its users viewing habits than any other company out there. The TIVO reports not only the programs watched but also the commercials watched and those skipped. He explained to me that TIVO collects more data about its users than any other system in existence. He is very hopeful about how his firm can use the wealth of consumer data from TIVO for directed marketing programs.

On another issue, my TIVO "extender" just turned to toast after six months of use. The "extender" is the only external device that works with TIVO 3, the software was changed to block all other external hard drives. This POS is manufactured by Seagate, an over the hill firm that is not competitive in the computer market. After all, who would trust their junk with mission critical business information. Unfortunately, if you want to "extend" the recording capabilities of your TIVO, you must buy their approved "junk". I wonder how much TIVO gets per POS that it shoves down its users' throats.

I can't wait for an alternative to TIVO. Please, Microsoft or anyone else, rescue me from this monopolist scum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-21-2008, 02:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
And there are some around here who claim "they don't make any money".
post #3 of 12 Old 07-21-2008, 04:19 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansashick View Post

We talked about TIVO and he informed me that TIVO is now selling the consumer data that it collects to marketers.

If you had read the agreements you agreed to as part of the terms of service for your TiVo, this wouldn't have been much of a surprise to you.

It should be noted that, unless you voluntarily opt-in, any information provided by TiVo is anonymous. I'm surprised that your friend didn't include that critical piece of information to you.

Quote:

On another issue, my TIVO "extender" just turned to toast after six months of use.

Mine is working fine.

Quote:

The "extender" is the only external device that works with TIVO 3, the software was changed to block all other external hard drives.

That is not true. You can use many eSATAs with the S3; you just need to learn how to activate any other than the one TiVo supports. That has never changed.

Quote:

I wonder how much TIVO gets per POS that it shoves down its users' throats.

Not enough. TiVo still loses money.

Quote:

I can't wait for an alternative to TIVO. Please, Microsoft or anyone else, rescue me from this monopolist scum.

I think the folks at Microsoft would be gratified to find one raving criticism on the Internet that actually considers them not monopolistic, but instead hails them as a potential savior from monopoly.

It it important to note, however, that this situation is of customers' own doing. The only reason why TiVo is the only one, so far, is because no one else is willing to waste a whole lot of money selling something we customers aren't willing to pay enough for to make selling them worthwhile.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

If you had read the agreements you agreed to as part of the terms of service for your TiVo, this wouldn't have been much of a surprise to you.

It should be noted that, unless you voluntarily opt-in, any information provided by TiVo is anonymous. I'm surprised that your friend didn't include that critical piece of information to you.

Mine is working fine.

That is not true. You can use many eSATAs with the S3; you just need to learn how to activate any other than the one TiVo supports. That has never changed.

Not enough. TiVo still loses money.

I think the folks at Microsoft would be gratified to find one raving criticism on the Internet that actually considers them not monopolistic, but instead hails them as a potential savior from monopoly.

It it important to note, however, that this situation is of customers' own doing. The only reason why TiVo is the only one, so far, is because no one else is willing to waste a whole lot of money selling something we customers aren't willing to pay enough for to make selling them worthwhile.

Regarding the extender, failure is a widespread issue and if you google, you will find many examples. My criticism stands.

You are simply incorrect regarding the use of non-approved external hard drives, at least for the vast majority of users. Again, on these forums, there are extensive discussions of using external drives in S2 but how they cannot be used on S3.

Regarding monopoly, something about which I undoubtedly know more about than 99.9% of the nation, a MS entry would reduce TIVO's market power in the relevant product market of DVRs. It has nothing to do with the market(s) where MS has market power, such as office productivity software. MS does not have any market power in the market for DVRs.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-21-2008, 12:37 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

You are simply incorrect regarding the use of non-approved external hard drives, at least for the vast majority of users. Again, on these forums, there are extensive discussions of using external drives in S2 but how they cannot be used on S3.

FYI...Go here for "Official eSATA Drive Expansion: FAQ + Discussion" at TivoCommunity http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=370784
From the FAQ in the link"
"With the TiVo Series3 (32 HD hours), you can add your own*2 eSATA drive. If you aren't using the My DVR Expander, the Series3 will warn you that the drive is not officially supported, but you will still be given the choice to enable it. That option is not available on the TiVoHD."

I hope you aren't confusing a Tivo Series 3 with a TivoHD....

Also, you can still use the cable company's DVR, so I really don't think your monopoly argument holds much water.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 PM

What I'd personally like to see as an alternative is Apple TV evolve into a quality PVR.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-21-2008, 06:48 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielQ View Post

What I'd personally like to see as an alternative is Apple TV evolve into a quality PVR.

Bwahahaha, talk about monopoly...
post #8 of 12 Old 07-22-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:

Regarding the extender, failure is a widespread issue and if you google, you will find many examples. My criticism stands.

A number of anecdotal examples doesn't prove something is widespread. Many folks who use the extender do so without incident. You'll need to do much better to justify your accusation that "failure is widespread". You're frustrated that yours have had problems; I understand. Sorry to hear that.

Quote:

You are simply incorrect regarding the use of non-approved external hard drives, at least for the vast majority of users.

You're mistaken. In such cases, you could just ask for help. Here are the instructions:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=350510

Quote:

Regarding monopoly, something about which I undoubtedly know more about than 99.9% of the nation, a MS entry would reduce TIVO's market power in the relevant product market of DVRs.

A very small portion of DVRs in this country are TiVos.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-22-2008, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

A very small portion of DVRs in this country are TiVos.

Good point. And thus, who's monopolizing the market? Why, that'd be our good friends Motorola and Scientific Atlanta/Cisco. I'd have to say, based on what I've read, they're not doing a particularly good job with their products, either. Hmm... how about that.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-23-2008, 03:22 AM

They're doing an okay job, commensurate with how much having superior products from them is important to the general public. People love to complain about their DVRs, but the devices are actually a lot better than you'd think based on what you'd read online about them.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-23-2008, 06:33 AM

Quick Tivo fun fact. The most rewound moment in Tivo history was Janet Jackson's wardrobe "malfunction" at the Superbowl. Just trying to add a lil brevity.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-25-2008, 01:05 PM

"Just trying to add a lil brevity."

Levity? Brevity describes the incident, though!
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page