General Cable/FIOS DVR questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for the simplistic questions, but I don't use anything cable-related, and need some info for my father.

For recording basic cable (non-HD) from cable or FIOS, is it better to go the cable/FIOS DVR rental route to avoid any issues when they switch to SDV (switched-digital)? Or to rephrase, is it a gamble to go with a TIVO Series2 which could possibly become obsolete when cable/FIOS goes to switch-digital? [or has someone already created an adapter for switched-digital that will prevent the obsolescence of a Series2, for example?]

I have to replace his VCR with something easy to use that won't require any coddling or tech support from me.

Thanks,
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-28-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Since he's familiar with setting up timer rec programs in a VCR, he should like a SDTV DVD recorder with a HDD. Simple menu for setting up timer rec programs (36 ea.) and easy-to-use interface for selecting recorded programs to watch. Those are prob. the only things he'd be interested in doing, and he'd have no discs or tapes to manage anymore! Click my signature for more info on the Philips DVDR3576H/37.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 4 Old 07-28-2008, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks very much. That's a great option for those who want a simpler/lower-cost option that is easy to transition from a VCR-user.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-28-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Just FYI, but (a) the Series2 will never be affected by SDV, (b) the Series2 will always be usable with an external box, even if it can't receive OTA NTSC anymore, and (c) FIOS will never be saddled with SDV, according to Verizon. (Also, SDV adapters for the Series3 TiVo and TiVo HD units should be filtering out to cable MSOs this quarter - they've been approved by TiVo and CableLabs.)
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page