Humax PVR 9200T - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Digital Recorders (PVRs) General > Humax PVR 9200T

Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Joe Bloggs's Avatar Joe Bloggs
10:10 AM Liked: 60
post #1 of 7
08-13-2008 | Posts: 2,603
This thread is for users of the Humax 9200T personal video recorder.
10:13 AM Liked: 60
post #2 of 7
08-13-2008 | Posts: 2,603
Is anyone else's Humax coming up with problems recently?
mine's giving Hard Disk Drive error every so often.
Is this a total failure? I tried the "format hard drive option", and that only took a second to do (so it will only have been a quick format not a full format - there was only one format option). It now has no programs recorded but still gives the hard drive error while watching normal TV after a few minutes (it's a shame these PVRs use the hard drive constantly even while watching normal TV instead of using a large amount of RAM instead).

I've checked for any software updates but there are none. Any suggestions? Does it need replacing?
08:03 PM Liked: 60
post #3 of 7
08-16-2008 | Posts: 2,603
It's been working totally fine today for hours and hours. Not one single error. Why is it that days ago it was giving the "hard disk" error every few minutes but today it's been working totally fine for hours? I've paused and rewound live TV etc. Could it have been somthing in the broadcasts or something else that was causing the problems days ago or is the hard disk still really slowly failing?
KBoswell's Avatar KBoswell
08:35 AM Liked: 10
post #4 of 7
08-29-2008 | Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

This thread is for users of the Humax 9200T personal video recorder.

Hi Joe;

I'm not familiar with this unit. Can you give me (us) some background? Is it a stand alone unit? Computer add-on? size of storage? ATSC/QAM tuners? etc.

thanks,
Kelly
09:00 AM Liked: 60
post #5 of 7
08-29-2008 | Posts: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoswell View Post

Hi Joe;

I'm not familiar with this unit. Can you give me (us) some background? Is it a stand alone unit? Computer add-on? size of storage? ATSC/QAM tuners? etc.

thanks,
Kelly

Mine's a UK PVR and it's a standalone unit designed for viewing/recording Freeview (digital OTA SDTV in the UK) and has a 160GB hard disc - I'm not totally sure but I don't think there's a USA version - though I'm not too sure. There are newer models out.

It's been a lot more reliable for watching/recording TV than my first PVR which was a different make and failed in the first couple of months. This PVR has been reliable (except for the hard disc messages a while ago - but it's been fine since - and there are problems with it's USB transfer program).

If it fails, or if I decide to get a new PVR I'd probably get a different model - maybe the Topfield one with a bigger hard disk (or some other make). Maybe even one of the dvd recorders with built in hard disc and digital tuners (though they aren't supposed to be as good for recording multiple programs on different channels simultaneously as PVRs - ie. I think dvd recorders with hard disc can only record one thing at a time or something like that or there are more limitations like that than PVRs - as most only have one tuner or are expensive).
KBoswell's Avatar KBoswell
09:19 AM Liked: 10
post #6 of 7
08-29-2008 | Posts: 89
Quote:

Mine's a UK PVR and it's designed for viewing/recording Freeview (digital OTA SDTV in the UK) and has a 160GB hard disc - I'm not totally sure but I don't think there's a USA version - though I'm not too sure. There are newer models out.

Okay. I look forward to seeing it next time I cross the pond. (I also want to see how Eurka147, and DVB-T is working when I get to see some friendson the continent.

The reason for my original question is, I've been wanting to obtain a stand-alone replacement for my old VCR. Everything I've heard of so far either requires a subscription and/or connection to CATV/Satellite/Internet or requires a computer with a tunercard. I'm needing something with a built-in tuner that is simply connected to an antenna, and the TV (and the electrical mains, of course); nothing else.

Should hear of such (on either side of the pond) I'd like to know. Even though our modulations scheme here is different, many of the products made in UK (and in Australia) are made from a multi-national perspective.
09:29 AM Liked: 60
post #7 of 7
08-29-2008 | Posts: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoswell View Post

Okay. I look forward to seeing it next time I cross the pond. (I also want to see how Eurka147, and DVB-T is working when I get to see some friendson the continent.

The reason for my original question is, I've been wanting to obtain a stand-alone replacement for my old VCR. Everything I've heard of so far either requires a subscription and/or connection to CATV/Satellite/Internet or requires a computer with a tunercard. I'm needing something with a built-in tuner that is simply connected to an antenna, and the TV (and the electrical mains, of course); nothing else.

Should hear of such (on either side of the pond) I'd like to know. Even though our modulations scheme here is different, many of the products made in UK (and in Australia) are made from a multi-national perspective.

Well this one is a standalone unit, capable of watching/recording DVB-T (UK digital terrestrial SDTV ie. Freeview). There are quite a lot of other freeview PVRs (stand alone units) too in the UK, some quite a lot cheaper. There are some (not many I think) channels on Freeview that you'd need a subscription card to watch (though I don't have one so I don't watch any of those), but most of the channels on the UK's Freeview are Free to watch/record.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Subscribe to this Thread