Purchase DVR Box Outright - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-19-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed that there are a few places online that will sell you Moto DVRs with Cablecard slots (which, technically, is what RCN gave me only with a white sticker where the word 'cablecard' should be and a metal piece put over where the card goes in)

Can I buy one of these and get all the services I get with my current DVR as long as I get a card from RCN? Do these have the eSATA ports enabled by default?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Which "few places" are those? Anywhere besides eBay? As far as I know, there's no legitimate retail outlet within the US that will provide you a DCH{3,6}4xx box, and since they are *not* CableLabs licensed (they don't have to be), cable MSOs aren't required to support them - and since they netboot, unless the network is a Moto network already, you probably can't use it anyway. Besides, given the cost to buy one of the boxes versus the month-to-month cost over the course of 3-4 years, you'll still probably do better to just lease the box from your provider.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-19-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Are there ANY authorized DVRs other than TiVo and those expensive Vista Media Center systems?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Catalano View Post

Are there ANY authorized DVRs other than TiVo and those expensive Vista Media Center systems?

Those are the only shipping CableCARD-capable DVR systems via retail channels. There's Sony's DHG-HDD250/500 DVR, but they've been out of production for years, are single-tuner devices, and tend to be rather expensive to acquire via auction sites.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page