SA 8300 HD Box Reboots Randomly Every Few Days - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-09-2008, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me preface my post by apologizing if this has been covered somewhere already, but when I search for this issue it only comes up related to adding an external drive. I am also a bit of a newbie here to make things worse.

I have an SA 8300 HD stb running SARA with Comcast in Richfield, MN (Minneapolis suburb). Don't know the SARA version off the top of my head, and don't know if it's relevant or not.

Basically, every so often, like every other day, I'll turn on the tv for the first time that day and begin watching tv. Everything's cool, and then all of a sudden my tv screen goes blank, and I look down at my 8300 to see its display counting down in hexidecimal numbers all the way to 000 and then rebooting, a process that takes a good 10 - 15 minutes, a major annoyance when you're just trying to watch tv.

This happens totally random, sometimes I'll be switching the channel, sometimes not, sometimes it'll happen consecutive times, sometimes not for days. This didn't begin happening until probably 2 weeks ago. I had no problems like this since I first got the box probably like 5 months ago.

I don't have an external drive hooked up to it. It's totally vanilla.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had the same problem with my 8300 HD unit with TWC. Oddly though, it only happened on HD sports shows. Sometimes it would happen twice in one night (during the Olympics).

I had my DVD player sitting on top of it and I assumed that it must have been overheating and beginning a slow death. Once it rebooted during an NFL game, well, that was it!! I took mine back to TWC yesterday. They swapped it with a 8300 HDC -- which is missing some of the features I grew to like about the HD. All seems fine now.

It is easy to imagine that live HD shows in general and the Olympics in particular might be less compressed and hence casued the overheating. My speculation though...
post #3 of 3 Old 10-08-2008, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, when I was an installer for Brighthouse, I never liked the quality of their DVR's. The silver colored ones always gave me problems. The black ones are the better ones, though they are still mediocre- and not dvr of course.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page