Verizon STB/Router question... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-10-2008, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning on switrching to FIOS soon, but I want to use their Modem/Router as a modem only, as I have a linksys Gigabit/Wireless N network running and I dont want to downgrade to a faulty 10/100/Wireless G setup.

I have read that the FIOS STB's require the wireless connection from the router to get their channel listing information, and on demand content. So if I use the verizon supplied router as a modem only, the STB's will not function properly.

However, in the same house we would have two seperate verizon accounts, and on the second account, the router will be untouched. Would I be able to link some of my STB's to the other FIOS router (without those boxes having to be billed to the other account)? If so then that will work out great for me. Just wanted to see if anyone here knew if that is possible. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-11-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goanna View Post

I am planning on switrching to FIOS soon, but I want to use their Modem/Router as a modem only, as I have a linksys Gigabit/Wireless N network running and I dont want to downgrade to a faulty 10/100/Wireless G setup.

I have read that the FIOS STB's require the wireless connection from the router to get their channel listing information, and on demand content. So if I use the verizon supplied router as a modem only, the STB's will not function properly.

However, in the same house we would have two seperate verizon accounts, and on the second account, the router will be untouched. Would I be able to link some of my STB's to the other FIOS router (without those boxes having to be billed to the other account)? If so then that will work out great for me. Just wanted to see if anyone here knew if that is possible. Thanks!

I am assuming you already have FiOS Internet? In either case, you do not need to use their router.

They will run a coaxial cable from your ONT to NIM. The NIM will need to plug in to your router via cat5. The NIM will then output via coaxial to your STBs.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 PM

uhm, that isn't how I understand it.

I believe you will need to have the Fios provided router in the mix. It will connect to the NIM via ethernet and also connect with your coax wiring. The STBs get IPs from the router, and get at least guide info over the 'net possible VOD programming.

Nothing stopping you from disabling the wireless on it (or just ignoring it), and using your own wireless units. (I found the G from the unit to not be up to snuff, altho I believe there is newer equipment in play than was installed for me 18+ months ago).

you should have no problem with using your linksys N (at a minimum as an access point)
post #4 of 7 Old 09-14-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

From what I have read online so far, the STB's cannot get the info from any wireless access point, they only get it from the verizon wireless router. So if you disable the wireless functionality of the router, then the boxes no longer work properly.

I tried calling verizon to ask about this and they dont know anything. They put me on the phone with a "Texh Expert" who still couldnt help me much. I also asked the "Expert" about the availability of single stream and multi stream cable cards, and he didnt even know what those were...
post #5 of 7 Old 09-14-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:

From what I have read online so far, the STB's cannot get the info from any wireless access point...

I think this is true

Quote:

So if you disable the wireless functionality of the router, then the boxes no longer work properly.

Don't get mixed up. You can disable the 'wireless' on the Fios router, and still allow it to dole out IP addresses to all your STBs and computers and hubs etc. Trust me, I've already done this. Just make sure you keep the fios router connected to your coax wiring (that's how the STBs get IPs and to the internet).
post #6 of 7 Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
jim is correct...

i have my airport extreme connected behind the actiontec router with no issues at all... turn off the wireless part of the actiontec, and turn off dhcp on your "internal" wireless router and you'll be fine...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #7 of 7 Old 10-07-2008, 12:17 PM

Liked: 11
I've got their triple play. I use their router, w/ wireless disabled. I can say the STB's don't get guide info from wireless as I'm still getting guide info w/ wireless off. I was told by the tech that I needed to use their router, and decided not to fight it.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page