New to D* and need help with DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-22-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of switching from Comcast to D*. The deal I got through Costco was a free HD-DVR and 2 free standard boxes. I wanted 2 SD-DVR's but the rep said I had to pay for them about $85 per. I told him to just put the order for standard and I'll upgrade later. Now I'm starting to hear about having to pay for the DVR+install fee+upgrade fee!?!?!? Can a D* vet enlighten me. I'm used to cable where you just lease the box and swap it out if it breaks or if you want to upgrade.

I was checking to see about buying a D* box outside of D* but I haven't seen a lot available. I want to avoid Tivo because I'll pay service for both D* and Tivo for DVR use. I was thinking about a DVD Recorder but the DVD blanks will add up as well (need recording for daily soap opera for wife) unless the DVD's can be recorded over.

I'm trying to keep costs down as money is a little tight at this moment. An HTPC is not an option at this time. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-24-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post

I am in the process of switching from Comcast to D*.

I'm considering the same switch. Can you share your thoughts after switching? (are you glad you switched, any complaints, tips, etc?)

Quote:

The deal I got through Costco was a free HD-DVR and 2 free standard boxes.

Is Costco's deal better than going directly through D* ?
post #3 of 5 Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I actually posted this at the Miami thread about D*:

I love it. The only downside was like on Saturday for example when the rain really came down really really hard I didn't have TV for 5 minutes. I already had an installer to realign the dish. However, the DVR is not affected since it's off the hard drive obviously.

The other thing is that I need to buy a network powerline adapter so that I can run internet to the box. This is so that I can watch On Demand and connect my Wii and PS3 to the internet (I have a wireless G router that my cousin gave me but it doesn't get a signal out). If you have a wireless router already, you have to get a non-USB ethernet adapter to plug into the RJ-45 connection in the back of the box. It's not like the PS3 where it has WiFi built in already. The adapter kit is $50 plus $10 shipping.

I love it for one thing because not only the package I have gives me way more HD channels, it costs me about the same as Comcast did with way more movie channels.

The little features too like being able to program your DVR from the web or your phone, customizing the alerts for your fantasy players via NFL Ticket, huge hard drive, RF remotes, a real web site. It's such a better experience. Even at the dbstalk forums you see people that have had D* users for 10 years+.

As far as Costco's deal vs D*, you have to see what is available now. I think my offer ended because since it was the NFL Ticket and the season had just started it was what was available.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-27-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The only downside was like on Saturday for example when the rain really came down really really hard I didn't have TV for 5 minutes.

eek. My wife would be cursing the switch away from Comcast if that ever happened to one of her shows.

Quote:

I love it for one thing because not only the package I have gives me way more HD channels, it costs me about the same as Comcast did with way more movie channels.

I'm guessing you mean the promo pricing. Once that's over (one year?) the D* prices are way higher than Comcast's regular prices.

Believe me, I'm not sticking up for Comcast (I very much dislike them)... just trying to keep it honest.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think Comcast's prices vary by area. My bill with Comcast with just HBO and HD and all the Digital channels was like $130. What I was saying was that if I had all the movie channels for both systems the pricing should be about the same after the promos. I will see in a few months what it comes out too. Regardless I'm getting superior service and more HD channels. Comcast was horrible in all aspects.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page