How will a DVR work with a separate digital TV receiver, such as Telus ADSL?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-24-2008, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to install a standalone DVR into an existing system that already has a digital tuner such as a Telus ADSL receiver?? I am not a newbie to DVRs but find myself overwhelmed with the information I am finding online... I understand that it is possible, but what will happen with the TV guide, pause live TV, etc? I was looking at the Pioneer DVR-560H-K for instance. How complicated will this get?

I wanted to buy this for my girlfriend, but don't want to make things overly-complicated for her! Just want a digital replacement for her old VCR... And perhaps the pause live TV feature would be a nice bonus.

Any and all info will be appreciated, Christmas is coming, and this is my best idea!!...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-24-2008, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post

Is it possible to install a standalone DVR into an existing system that already has a digital tuner such as a Telus ADSL receiver?? I am not a newbie to DVRs but find myself overwhelmed with the information I am finding online... I understand that it is possible, but what will happen with the TV guide, pause live TV, etc? I was looking at the Pioneer DVR-560H-K for instance. How complicated will this get?

I wanted to buy this for my girlfriend, but don't want to make things overly-complicated for her! Just want a digital replacement for her old VCR... And perhaps the pause live TV feature would be a nice bonus.

Any and all info will be appreciated, Christmas is coming, and this is my best idea!!...

Isn't what you want called Tivo? Sorry, not trying to be a smartass, but that sounds like what you're looking for. You might want to check Tivo's site to see if it works with your particular equipment and setup? As for the guide, Tivo supplies it. https://www3.tivo.com/store/boxes.do?WT.srch=1

Mark
post #3 of 5 Old 11-26-2008, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mark, I hadn't thought of Tivo...

Reading up on it, I am not sure if it will work with ADSL TV, at least without limitations...

Also, I'd rather avoid yet another monthly bill for the subscription to Tivo, tho I have no idea how much it would cost...

I had also thought having a DVR with a built in DVD burner would be great to make hard copies of favorite movies or shows.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-27-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Click #1 in my signature to check out the two 160GB HDD DVDRs described there. They have NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners, but the ADSL tuner could be connected for OTA while the DVDR is connected to cable, or ???... sketch #1 in this help file shows such an "optional" connection.

I think your GF would love a DVDR with a HDD!
post #5 of 5 Old 12-01-2008, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Wajo, do I sense some sarcasm there??

Thankyou for all that info, wow, I am overwhelmed....

As far as I can understand, a DVR/burner such as these would be quite complicated to use... Perhaps I was unrealistic with my expectations...

The fact that I am dealing with Telus ADSL TV only complicates things. I understand devices can be linked together to provide certain functions, but simplicity is a huge concern here...

I'm thinking my easiest solution here is to simply upgrade her Telus Digital box to a Telus PVR box... It won't have the DVD burner of course, but as we all know, devices CAN be added, (such as a basic DVD recorder).

I hadn't wanted to tie her to the Telus TV service by buying her a Telus PVR, but as it turns out, they are only avaliable for rent anyhow. I'll pay her rent fees, and if she doesnt like it, she can switch back, or switch sevices. Maybe.

And also, the Harmony/Telus TV remote (available at an additional cost) looks pretty nifty!!

If worse comes to worse, I'll just buy her a damn engagement ring!!
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page