DVR remote control's signal blocked by TV's power options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-07-2008, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a new Motorola DCH3416 HD DVR from Comcast (was using a 4 yr old DVR before). Odd thing - the remote control doesn't work when the TV is on. Called Comcast, who said that this is a known problem caused by the power management or power saving options of certain Sharp and Panasonic HD TVs. Also said they have no idea which TVs this works with. I have a 2 yr old Sharp Aquos. Wondering if anyone has seen this problem and knows of a way to fix it on the cable box or TV beyond Comcast's solution of going back to cable store, waiting another hour plus in line, and swapping out the DCH for a DCT (hoping they have them in stock). Appreciate help from the pros on here. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-15-2008, 02:41 PM

I have a motorola DCH 3200 hooked up to a ONKYO receiver and a Phillips 47PFL77403D/27 LCD t.v. using HDMI, That has the same issue, cable box remote control simply will not work with the T.V. on,sometimes The cable box remote will work if I turn on the T.V.'s on screen menu. Drives me crazy and I have already replaced the Cable box and remote control,I have tried aftermarket remotes with no improvement in symptoms. Already had a comcast tech out here who was of no help,any input on this issue would be apprieciated.I am using comcast,would going over to Direct t.v.or some other Satellite provider that uses a different H.D. box help?? The t.v. has the latest firmware updates in it. Comcast claims that they have never heard of this problem before.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-15-2008, 04:08 PM

I just "fixed" my problem. I found the Infared Sensor on my Motorola DCH3200 cable box and placed two layers of Beige masking tape over it,and now the cable box remote remote works fine with the Phillips LCD t.v. turned on. Has something to do with Infared Radiation emmitted by the LCD overwhelming the Cable box sensor,try it and see if it works for you,by the way I had no luck with multiple layers of opaque "Scotch" tape.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page