Should I get a DirecTV DVR (non-HD)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-11-2008, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in a "new" development and long story short, the management decides what services we are allowed to have. They won't let the local cable company in and they contracted, when the complex was built, to have DirecTV dishes installed and wired on the roofs. As part of the bylaws, you must use these dishes (by leasing them from a company for $10/month). You cannot install dishes on your balcony, out a window, etc.

Anyway, they are relunctant or slow in signging a new contract to get HD dishes installed and thus, I am stuck with SD DTV. I am using an old D10 box. I can't take advantage or any of the deals you see at Radio Shack or anything like with the free HD DVR's, multiple rooms, etc.

Anyway, long story short, I have read that the latest SD DTV PVR R16 is problematic and is being phased out. I am currently using a 5000 series ReplayTV and while that's cool, it's not really linked to my guide and cannot do live tv + recording at the same time.

I see R16's on ebay for $80. Would it make sense for me to get one, replacing my current D10 and ReplayTV? Or should I wait, perhaps for a better SD DirecTV PVR? I have no hopes of my apartment upgrading to HD.

Thanks for your help.

Peace!
Sygyzy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-11-2008, 11:51 PM

i thought that was illegal to not let you have a dish if u choose inside your balconey area on a tripod.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-16-2008, 11:55 PM

terrible,
to install a Direct TV receiver will be much better.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-22-2008, 11:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post

They won't let the local cable company in and they contracted, when the complex was built, to have DirecTV dishes installed and wired on the roofs. As part of the bylaws, you must use these dishes (by leasing them from a company for $10/month). You cannot install dishes on your balcony, out a window, etc.

Unless you live on a recognized historical site, then chances are good that the "bylaw" is null and void.

Federal law allows just about everyone to install a dish up to one meter in diameter. I would print out this FCC fact sheet and show it to management. Here's an excerpt:

Quote:

The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

Effective January 22, 1999, the Commission amended the rule so that it also applies to rental property where the renter has an exclusive use area, such as a balcony or patio.

Quote:

Q: May the association, landlord, building management or property owner restrict the installation of an individual antenna because a central antenna will be available in the future?

A: It is not the intent of the Commission to deter or unreasonably delay the installation of individual antennas because a central antenna may become available. However, persons could be required to remove individual antennas once a central antenna is available if the cost of removal is paid by the landlord or association and the user is reimbursed for the value of the antenna. Further, an individual who wants video programming or fixed wireless services other than what is available through the central antenna should not be unreasonably delayed in obtaining the desired programming or services either through modifications to the central antenna, installation of an additional central antenna, or by using an individual antenna.

Management almost always knows about this, they just stick that provision in the bylaws to discourage people from doing it. They correctly assume that most residents will not bother to check the validity of those bylaws online.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page