PVR too noisy? Try the 2.5" laptop drive solution! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-19-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

Thanks for this forum, as a new PVR owner and digital cable subscriber, I'm finding everyone's posts very helpful.

I got a new DCT3416 just a few days ago, but was disappointed with the noise it made. I thought others might be interested in my solution, so I took photos and described the whole process:

PVR Too Noisy? ScienceMan Has the Cure!

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
So you replaced the drive in your leased DCT3416 with a 2.5" hard drive?

Really?

That just seems like a bad idea all around. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I've never known laptop hard disks to be (a) particularly fast (unless you pay big buxx for the 7200 RPM models) or (b) long-lasting under constant stress. Have you compared MTBF information for that 2.5" drive to the 3.5" that was in there? Also, replacing a drive in a leased box is liable to get you charged full price when you eventually return it.

In any case, good luck with that, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone, ever.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

NOT leased, I purchased it. As my tutorial clearly reads, if you're renting your unit, I wouldn't recommend messing with the hard drive.

The speed of the drive is largely irrelevant. Even if it was a 4200 RPM, it would more than likely have a transfer rate far in excess of what is needed to keep up with the HD data stream.

In the case of the drive I used, the Seagate ST9160310AS has a sustained internal transfer rate of 60.3 MB/s. Let's say, for argument's sake, that the HD PVR recorded data at the rate of a full high-def, 1080p movie - 6.75 MB/s (source: blu-ray.com). That would mean, that the Seagate hard drive has 10 TIMES the necessary speed to record the data rate associated with 1080p, and we all know that our PVRs don't do that anyway, so the actual data rate going to the hard drive is likely to be far less. Conclusion: the 5400 RPM drive is more than fast enough.

As for your comment about long-lasting, I'll put today's laptop drives up against full size drives any day. Why does Sony, for example, use laptop drives in their PS3s? I'll tell you why - Less heat, less power, and the reliability is just the same as a full size drive. But let's give you the benefit of the doubt on that one - let's say the Seagate falters in a year and half. I'd gladly spend the $73 to replace it than put up with the excruciating noise of the cheapo 3.5" drive that Motorola put in there.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-19-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Oh, I see. You're in Canada. Okay, since I'm guessing you bought the box, you can do that. I still wouldn't trust it. Personally I like keeping my recordings, not having to worry about if my drives are going to keep them. But anyway, good luck to you.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-16-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

FYI - Been using my DCT3416 with the 2.5" laptop hard drive for a month now. Still dead silent, working perfectly.

The URL for procedure has changed - it's right here:

http://scienceman.com/pgs/blog_archive.php?id=1
post #6 of 9 Old 02-16-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No need to use a laptop drive. There are plenty of quiet 3.5" drives. Any one of these should do the trick.

As a reminder, Motorola DVRs are limited to the maximum capacity of the SKU. Even if you install a larger drive, the Motorola will still use a maximum of 160GB.

Don't attempt an upgrade unless you live in Canada and own your DVR. Newer Motorola DVRs have a tamper proof chassis, requiring you to break a plastic piece to remove the drive. Do that and you could get charged $400+ for the DVR when you return it.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-17-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

A quiet 3.5" drive is good suggestion, but I've still got to vote for the 2.5" drive, it will be even quieter.

Yes, as clearly mentioned in the article, don't be messing with your unit unless you own it. And even if you own, understand that you are violating your warranty.

The user unfriendlyness in regard to access and upgrading is disappointing in these units. It's too bad people have to live with rented noisy pvrs.

Look at the PS3 - takes about 2 minutes to replace the HD. Motorola, you suck!
post #8 of 9 Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, the URL changed for this again - you can find it here:

http://scienceman.com/pgs/blog_archive.php?id=1
post #9 of 9 Old 05-20-2009, 08:24 PM

What if anything needs to be done to the hard drive in order for it to work in the dct3426 ? Does it need to be formatted in any particular way or anything else I would need to know ?

Thanks
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page