Noob DVR Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-13-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I appreciate all suggestions. I'm looking for a non-subscription, internal hard driver dvr, to replace an old VCR for my parents. They live in the middle of nowhere, have cable, but the provider does not have dvr available.

So really what they need.

1. Ability to record shows and delete them, no need to burn to dvd
2. No subscription preferable, tight budget and they don't care about the guide service.
3. Ability to set timer to record their shows, ability to pause live tv a plus.
4. Dvd player would be nice, since they don't have one in their bedroom, but not a necessity.
5. Unit would never be connected to a computer.
6. Their service is not High Def, but I believe they now have digital cable.

Thanks so much for your help!

River Fisher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-13-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

After w few hours of research seems like a refurbed symphonic DVR (never heard of the brand) off eBay for $110 or a Pioneer DVR 460-660 for about twice that about are probably my best bets?
post #3 of 6 Old 02-13-2009, 11:36 AM

When it comes to basic DVRs in the USA, there is really only one now made by Philips and sold under a couple of different names including Polaroid. I actually have a couple of them, and each has significant problems.

The DVR I use for myself is a Sony RDR-HX715. I highly recommend it, or other equivalent models. They are no longer made, but if you're willing to purchase used you can check places online including Amazon.com. I might add that the Philips models sell for about $200 and the Sony was $600 new. You get what you pay for. Good luck.

CA GUY
post #4 of 6 Old 02-13-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Click #1 in my signature for two very reliable models with 160GB HDDs so your parents won't have to worry about loading discs, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #5 of 6 Old 02-13-2009, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you don't need direct support for digital cable, the discontinued Toshiba SD-H400 would be a good choice. It integrates a DVR with TiVo Basic -- the free version of TiVo service --- with a DVD player. It features a program guide with three days of program information; this information is downloaded in the early morning hours using the phone line (or a USB wireless adapter if they have broadband Internet).

You can upgrade the storage on this product using DVRUpgrade's InstantCake restore CD for $19.99. This restore CD includes a copy of the original TiVo software which it will restore to a new drive up to 1.1TB in size.

There are only two DVRs currently shipping that directly support encrypted digital cable -- the TivoHD and the Moxi. The dual-tuner TivoHD DVR costs $199 at Sears, but it requires one of the following subscriptions: $12.99/mo, $129/yr, $299/3yrs, or a one-time payment of $399; this subscription includes nightly guide downloads, software and feature updates, and remote scheduling. The dual-tuner Moxi DVR costs $799, but that includes a lifetime subscription to their guide service.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
post #6 of 6 Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
A new model DVD recorder with internal digital tuner may be a lower cost and readily available alternative for a VCR replacement. You can use rewritable DVD media.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page