I appreciate all suggestions. I'm looking for a non-subscription, internal hard driver dvr, to replace an old VCR for my parents. They live in the middle of nowhere, have cable, but the provider does not have dvr available.
So really what they need.
1. Ability to record shows and delete them, no need to burn to dvd
2. No subscription preferable, tight budget and they don't care about the guide service.
3. Ability to set timer to record their shows, ability to pause live tv a plus.
4. Dvd player would be nice, since they don't have one in their bedroom, but not a necessity.
5. Unit would never be connected to a computer.
6. Their service is not High Def, but I believe they now have digital cable.
Thanks so much for your help!