Need SD analog to DVD solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First post here so be gentle.

I need a way to transfer VHS and some other SD analog Video formats to my Mac G4/1.25sp/OS 10.4.9 (can upgrade to 10.4.11) Hard Drive in a format (TS?) I can just drop into Toast (already have Toast) and burn a DVD from without having to encode.

I already have a Canopus ADVC-100 for firewire into Final cut but that requires a long encode. So I need an external hardware encoder (would love firewire but it seems they are all USB).

From what I have been reading there is the Elgato EyeTv 250 Plus and Hauppauge HD PVR
model 1212, although the later seems to be HD only and Mac Support?. I need the best quality I can get within reasonable cost, The ability to do minor heads and tail edits sometimes, though I suppose I could use Streamclip for that. How about adjustable compression depending on the length 1 to 4 hours?

One of the problems I run into with the Canopus, besides having to encode later, is with dropouts and blank/unrecorded spots on the tape. Final cut will not record through them unless I go out of the VHS and through my Panasonic DVD recorder then into the Canopus. I suppose a TBC could fix that but I still need to encode before it hits the computer.

Any input is appreciated. Having not used The Hauppauge or Elgato I'm not sure which is better quality and do they suffer from the dropout and blank tape problems.

Thanks
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page