Seeking A Simple Solution For A Challenging Situation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-24-2009, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings!

I apologize in advance for the rather lengthy description, but I think it's necessary background for anyone who can help me understand what it is I need to purchase.

My wife and I have just completed construction of a vacation home on the small Caribbean island of Anguilla. Although Anguilla is a beautiful place, it has a lot of third-world infrastructure. In terms of TV reception, there are two main options. One is cable TV from an on-island provider called Caribbean Cable. Currently, broadcasting is in analog format, but they indicate they will likely be converting to digital this year or next (i.e. on island time). Subscription does not require a converter box - currently, the cable connects directly into our Samsung HDTV (46"). In terms of a programming guide, there is a rolling listing that broadcasts on Channel 2. The other reception option is via pirated satellite signal (believe it or not, this is completely legal and despite my serious efforts, it isn't possible to purchase a paid subscription!). There apparently isn't enough critical mass to support a commercial sat provider. To convert the signal, I use a Viewsat Ultra and my dish is pointed to EchoStar 7. As you might expect, the signal is periodically scrambled and one needs to download firmware fixes every couple of weeks or two. Since that's not a notably user-friendly approach and we are considering the possibility of renting, we figure we need to have the cable as an alternate source. And although I'm a subscriber in the states, there is no Tivo service available on the island. All this is by way of explaining why I can't use either a Tivo based recorder of a Dish-TV based recorder. I even tried buying the latter and indicating I wanted to do a sell-install, but they wouldn't let me.

About the only other items which might be of relevance are that 1) for sound, I'm using a Bose Lifestyle v20 system, and 2) I do have DSL internet access, but my computer is located in another room and at this moment in time, I don't have a connection established to the area where my entertainment unit is located. I've just purchased a pair of Belkin powerlink adapters to take down with me on an upcoming trip and I'm hopeful that will deliver the connectivity, but I don't know that as yet.
What I'm seeking is a unit that I can connect the cable service to and that in turn into the Bose. My objective would be to record shows on the DVR. I may need to set programming manually, but if so, that's OK. What's most important is that the unit 1) be compatible with the cable and 2) be compatible with the Bose - and ideally it can be controlled by the Bose controller. In addition, I do have a PS3

So, is there a reasonably priced piece of equipment out there that will allow me to record my favorite TV shows? If so, I would be eternally grateful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-24-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Click #1 in my signature for two HDD/DVD recorders that should do the job in Anguilla's NTSC-M TV system. They both have 160GB HDDs, DVD burner, NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners that should be able to tune the islands cable signals, and terrestrial antenna signals if available.

They both have digital coax audio output that *should* connect to the Bose (not sure what inputs there), and the 3576 also has optical audio out.

Only problem is waiting for them to restock at Walmart, altho the 3576 is available from many sources thru the Google link in Section 8. Sellers and Support on the page linked under my signature.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 PM

Hulu.com>PC>TV! No recording necessary. Too Simple?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 AM

just get a dishnetwork dvr and subscription in the US and then just move the stb to the island and connect it to the dish the viewsat is connected to, you will lose the spot beam locals but every thing else should work just fine, and without the ecm attacks and software update required with the viewsat.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page