Easiest PC-DVR software with HDTV support? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-14-2009, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife has asked me to make a DVR for our new HDTV... what software is the easiest to setup and use? I want to build a box that I can confidently leave with my wife, and not worry about it going berserk.

We get about 10 HDTV channels on basic (no STB) Comcast service, so no CableCARD or such is needed.

I'd like to be able to remap the weird numbers, like ABC13 comes in at 89.1, NBC2 is at 87.3, etc. , so she only has to punch in the number of the channel she's wanting.

Icing on the cake would be the ability to jukebox all of our DVDs on the harddrive, but it must play within the same software as the DVR...

I haven't purchased the computer parts yet, waiting to see what ya'll suggest. I'm building the case, so it'll match our furniture. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-14-2009, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any PC DVR is going to be complicated relative to a standalone OTA HDTV DVR like the TivoHD or DTVPal DVR. However, if you really want to go the PC route, MythTV, SageTV, and Windows Media Center are all pretty comparable. SageTV and Windows Media Center do allow you to store the PC in a remote location, with TV and recordings accessible remotely from an "extender" connected to the TV.

If you already have a PC running Windows Vista in your home, you could simply add hard drive to that, connect a dual-QAM tuner like the HDHomerun, and then connect a Windows Media Center extender in the living room. Of course, for this to work, you would need high-speed network connectivity in your living room (wired ethernet, MoCA, Homeplug AV, etc).
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page