FIOS TV Motorola QIP7216 - hd upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-06-2009, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any info on the Motorola QIP7216 HD DVR FIOS is using? I searched for info on it but found nothing. We have FIOS TV coming May 27 (finally!) and would like to upgrade the hd if possible.

I am *hoping* it's similar to upgrading the Scientific Atlanta 8300 which we currently have from Cablevision, which only required replacing the drive and a reboot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-07-2009, 02:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Unfortunately, no Motorola DVRs from any provider support internal or external expansion at this time.

For now, you have to buy a TivoHD ($250+fees) or Moxi ($799 with no fees) if you want more than 160GB storage on Verizon FiOS.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-07-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. Is this due to the size limit in the firmware I have read about on other Motorola models? The code that limits the drive size no matter what size drive is used?

Damn, well that just sucks now doesn't it? I've been there, done that with both Tivo and ReplayTV, and I don't plan on going back down that road.

I'm sure at some point FIOS will either enable one of the external ports or start offering DVRs with larger drive size. That only makes sense, once all the SD channels drop off, wouldn't you think?

20 hours is just not gonna cut it.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-07-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOSteel View Post

Thank you for the response. Is this due to the size limit in the firmware I have read about on other Motorola models? The code that limits the drive size no matter what size drive is used?

Motorola has claimed that they haven't got content security on external drives worked out. Honestly, I can't see why; TiVo and Moxi both have it working fine, so really there should be no reason why not. Who knows if this really is the reason, or if not, what it actually is.

Quote:

Damn, well that just sucks now doesn't it? I've been there, done that with both Tivo and ReplayTV, and I don't plan on going back down that road.

It's actually a much better experience with the newer CableCARD-based units, once the CableCARD installation is done. (That part can be a bit problematic, but the setups I've participated in - my own and my brother's - work perfectly once the cards are set up right.)

Quote:

I'm sure at some point FIOS will either enable one of the external ports or start offering DVRs with larger drive size. That only makes sense, once all the SD channels drop off, wouldn't you think?

You would think so. Unfortunately, it's a waiting game on Motorola's part. They've claimed multiple times that this functionality is coming, but it clearly hasn't arrived yet; as for when it really will, your guess is as good as mine.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-12-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Note CableCard DVRs like the TivoHD and Moxi eliminate the need for the extra box.

CableCards are essentially access cards that plug into the box and authorize all the channels you pay for. There is no external device needed, because the boxes themselves incorporate dual QAM (digital cable) tuners.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page