Motorola DCT6412/2305 Comcast - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, Is there some kind of encystations or lock by cable providers as Comcast in cable boxes (Motorola DCT6412/2305) in order to avoid other cable providers to activate them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 AM

Liked: 11
Rather it works the other way around: Domestic MSOs (cable providers) generally won't activate DCT-series boxes. Their obligation is to provide CableCARDs, not activate (potentially stolen) boxes, and they generally keep to that.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Rather it works the other way around: Domestic MSOs (cable providers) generally won't activate DCT-series boxes. Their obligation is to provide CableCARDs, not activate (potentially stolen) boxes, and they generally keep to that.

Ah, you learn something new every day! thanks for the info.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks!
The reason I made this question, is this: I'm live in San José, Costa Rica, my cable provider told I can provide my own digital cable box because at this don't have at this moment DVR cable boxes, but they said it has to be a Motorola DCT6412 DVR. So I'm planning to buy a DCT6412/2305 (Comcast logo on it) on eBay, that's why I asked if they have some kind of lock in order to avoid been active by other cable providers. So is there something like that?

Thanks, hope U can help.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 04:36 PM

First: I would get what your cable provider is telling you in writing. What they're saying is diametrically opposed to what most cable providers tell their customers.

Second, no, there is no lock, per se. However, nothing prevents your cable provider from checking to see if your DVR is stolen. Personally, I wouldn't buy it from eBay.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I understand. So there is no way a cable box can be sold like that on the web? So Comcast don't sell these units to any customer?
In Costa Rica you can buy the box from the provider (value around $680) but they don't have any available until late august, that's why I what to buy it myself. Any recommendation where to get one of these or that's not possible?
post #7 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSubaru View Post

Ah, you learn something new every day! thanks for the info.[IMG]http://www.******************/storage/411.jpg[/IMG]

Its really nice to learn something new.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-13-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbio_cr View Post

Oh, I understand. So there is no way a cable box can be sold like that on the web?

That's not really it. Specifically, such boxes are legal to sell in Canada. In the United States, though, Motorola has made a company decision not to offer DVRs for sale to the general public (presumably because of how much it would cost them to provide customer support in the US). With a Comcast label on the box, it probably isn't from Canada.

Quote:

So Comcast don't sell these units to any customer?

Correct. They only rent them.

Quote:

In Costa Rica you can buy the box from the provider (value around $680) but they don't have any available until late august, that's why I what to buy it myself. Any recommendation where to get one of these or that's not possible?

There are two digital cable-capable DVRs available for sale to the general public here in the US: The TiVo HD and the Moxi HD DVR.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-13-2009, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help!
post #10 of 12 Old 05-13-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

That's not really it. Specifically, such boxes are legal to sell in Canada.

But there's a slight wrinkle; the boxes aren't sold by Motorola or SA/Cisco, but by the service providers, for use *specifically* with that service provider's network. They're not in the business of just selling the boxes to sell them, but specifically to be used with their service. I'd be somewhat surprised if they'd sell them to someone from outside Canada, given that. (Yes, you can get them second-hand via eBay, but that's another matter.)
post #11 of 12 Old 05-13-2009, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

... but by the service providers, for use *specifically* with that service provider's network. They're not in the business of just selling the boxes to sell them...

So what you means is that it couldn't work with other cable providers?
post #12 of 12 Old 05-14-2009, 03:54 AM

It means that they never intended them to be resold. I don't know Canadian law, but I would doubt that the service providers could actually prohibit them from being resold.

However, it is academic. All that matters is whether the new service provider will activate them; again, the answer is typically, 'no'.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page