Need to sync live analog audio and digital video - AVS Forum
Digital Recorders (PVRs) General > Need to sync live analog audio and digital video
theAVlady's Avatar theAVlady 10:52 AM 05-14-2009
Hi everyone,

I hope I am posting this under the correct topic.

Our church records a 4 camera shoot of our weekly worship service using digital cameras (sdi). We currently capture each camera to a separate PC (just video). We record the audio from an analog soundboard into a Tascam DVRA1000 in the form of a wav file. We use a clapboard to sync all four cameras and the audio. When I post-edit, I simply line up the audio snap with each of the visual snaps. Takes about 2 minutes and works great.

However, we are moving from post editing to live switching because I won't be available to edit anymore. Can someone please advise as to how we might sync the analog audio to the digital video on the fly?

Please speak in simple terms as I know nothing about using any devices to accomplish this. Hence, the clapboard.

Here's the equipment we have at our disposal. Please let me know if you need any specs on available equipment connections on these units and I will post it.

Soundcraft GB4-40
Tascam DVRA1000
Panasonic MX-70 with SDI adapter
PC(s) with Blackmagic Decklink Cards

Many Thanks!

duvetyne's Avatar duvetyne 11:40 AM 05-14-2009
Why don't you just record the audio with the video?
theAVlady's Avatar theAVlady 11:49 AM 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne View Post

Why don't you just record the audio with the video?

I'm sorry. I guess I wasn't being clear. That is precisely what I want to do but the audio and video do not reach the recorder at the same time (one being analog and the other being digital). So, if I record it, as is, it will be recorded out of sync. I should note that I don't want to convert the sdi video to analog as that would ruin the excellent image quality we currently have.

Thanks!
theAVlady's Avatar theAVlady 11:55 AM 05-14-2009
Is there an easy way to delay the video so that it travels out of the Panasonic MX-70 video switcher in sync with the audio? Perhaps a setting in the MX-70?

Thanks again!
duvetyne's Avatar duvetyne 11:03 AM 05-15-2009
Is the switcher introducing the delay in the video?
Does the switcher pass embedded SDI audio?
Can't you sync the audio and video tracks together in your editing software?
theAVlady's Avatar theAVlady 02:10 PM 05-27-2009
Thanks for the reply. I just returned from vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne View Post

Is the switcher introducing the delay in the video?

No, the switcher is not yet installed. The timing is off because one source is traveling faster than the other. I am using digital video and analog audio.

Quote:

Does the switcher pass embedded SDI audio?

Yes it does but, the audio is not coming from the SDI camera. It is coming from the broadcast soundboard and the two have no connection at this point. I am pretty sure that simply connecting the audio to the switcher's audio input won't solve the problem.

Quote:

Can't you sync the audio and video tracks together in your editing software?

That is what I currently do, but I will be leaving my position soon and we need a way for our volunteers to have it synced automatically if possible, just to eliminate any un-necessary steps for them.

Many thanks!
Up
Mobile  Desktop