Digital Cable on my computer, Hauppauge - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-24-2009, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I've tried to find as much information about this as possible, but everything seems to be unclear and out-dated.

Here's the situation. I have HD digital cable. I want to buy a desktop computer, but I don't want to buy a monitor/I have nowhere to put a monitor.

So, what I want to do is be able to watch tv and use the computer at the same time, displayed on my tv. Basically I want to have a window that shows what would be on a tv if i was watching tv normal, kinda like a virtual tv.

One thing I have found so far is the Hauppauge HD-PVR. I would like to know if this will provide a live stream from my cable box to a window in my computer, and if so, will it be HD quality.

I also saw the Cable Card tuner, but i don't want to buy a manufacturer direct desktop.

Any help or other possible options would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-29-2009, 09:32 PM

yes the Hauppauge HD-PVR has software included that will allow you to watch live HD cable from your cable box in a window on your computer screen.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-30-2009, 01:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Before you go down this road, make sure you are really satisfied with your TV as a primary monitor.

If this is intended as your primary computer, and you don't have space for a monitor, then I would seriously consider a notebook and a Slingbox HD. With the notebook and a Slingbox HD, you can work and watch HD anywhere in your home (windowed or full screen). You could also watch TV on the laptop outside the home, so long as there is a wired or wireless Internet connection available.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-30-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

I actually already have a laptop, and I've seen the quality from the Slingbox-HD... and its far from HD. My TV will be fine as a monitor, I'm just trying to find the highest quality live feed from my cable box.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-30-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackm032488 View Post

I actually already have a laptop, and I've seen the quality from the Slingbox-HD... and its far from HD. My TV will be fine as a monitor, I'm just trying to find the highest quality live feed from my cable box.

I guess your TV does not support PIP with HD inputs? Some displays will display a HDMI input from one source (such as a PC) and overlay a PIP window for another source (such as your DVR).

Slingbox HD quality varies significantly by the speed of your network. The maximum bitrate on the Slingbox HD is 8Mbps -- you can force this setting in the Slingbox player. That is the same as the default HD bitrate on the Hauppauge HD PVR. At 8Mbps, the quality on the Slingbox HD and Hauppauge HD PVR is comparable.

The Hauppauge HD PVR allows you to choose custom bitrates up to 13.5Mbps. At the 13.5Mbps setting, quality is noticeably better than the Slingbox HD, although not as good as the original output.

The Hauppauge PVR software is resource intensive, so it will probably slow down your computer; this is noticeable, even on my Core2 Duo E8500 PC. With the Hauppauge software, there are very limited display options (two window sizes and won't fill full screen), although I understand those can be remedied by using other software. Much of the time, audio is out of sync on liveTV from the Hauppauge, although the recordings themselves are usually, by not always, in sync. The Slingbox HD is far better with regard to how it handles audio on liveTV.

The Hauppauge doesn't do anything on its own; it must be connected to your computer with a USB cable to work.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-30-2009, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I would not sink a lot of money into this as most of the major cable providers are encrypting their QAM (digital cable) channels that are beyond "limited basic" in scope.

Comcast just did our area recently and only channels 2-28 can be tuned in a QAM tuner card (or TV with digital cable tuner) and none of them are HD

A 'phile and his money are soon parted...
post #7 of 8 Old 05-30-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11001011 View Post

I would not sink a lot of money into this as most of the major cable providers are encrypting their QAM (digital cable) channels that are beyond "limited basic" in scope.

The op plans to use the output from his cable box, so encrypted QAM is not a concern for him.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-30-2009, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not too worried about how resource intensive the software is, the computer I'm building should be much more than capable of handling most any software.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page