FIOS Home Media DVR / 7216 - quick Q's - AVS Forum
Digital Recorders (PVRs) General > FIOS Home Media DVR / 7216 - quick Q's
AbMagFab's Avatar AbMagFab 05:52 AM 05-28-2009
I'm going over to help a friend with this, and I have some quick questions (I use Tivo, so want to understand better):

1) Main question: How do you "connect" from an HD/SD slave box to the Home Media DVR?

2) Can you watch live TV on each of the slave boxes without using a connection to the Home Media DVR?

3) How many tuners does the Home Media DVR have?

4) Can you upgrade the HDD, or add an external drive to it?

5) Can you only watch HD DVR programs on the HD slave boxes, or will it downconvert to the SD slave boxes?

6) I'm pretty sure you can only set up recordings directly from the Home Media DVR, and not from any of the slave boxes?

7) Is the photo/music app worth it? Can you do photos/music to any of the slave boxes as well, or just the Home Media DVR directly?

8) Anything else I should be aware of or concerned about?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

bfdtv's Avatar bfdtv 01:34 PM 05-28-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

1) Main question: How do you "connect" from an HD/SD slave box to the Home Media DVR?

Verizon uses the Actiontec router to create a 100Mbps network over the existing coax cable in your home. Television uses frequencies 0-860MHz on the coax and the 100Mbps network uses frequencies above that.

Quote:

2) Can you watch live TV on each of the slave boxes without using a connection to the Home Media DVR?

Yes. The "slave" boxes are Motorola QIP2500 (SD) and QIP6200/QIP7100 (HD) set-top boxes. They can be used with or without MRDVR service.

Quote:

3) How many tuners does the Home Media DVR have?

Two.

Quote:

Can you upgrade the HDD, or add an external drive to it?

No. You are limited to ~20 HD hours.

Verizon plans to offer more storage/capacity options before the end of year.

Quote:

Can you only watch HD DVR programs on the HD slave boxes, or will it downconvert to the SD slave boxes?

You can only watch HD recordings on the HD boxes. You can only watch SD recordings on the SD boxes.

Quote:

6) I'm pretty sure you can only set up recordings directly from the Home Media DVR, and not from any of the slave boxes?

That is correct. There is no way to schedule or delete recordings using the SD and HD STBs.

Quote:

Is the photo/music app worth it? Can you do photos/music to any of the slave boxes as well, or just the Home Media DVR directly?

Pictures are only accessible on the DVR. As for what it's worth running software on a PC, that depends on the person.

Quote:

8) Anything else I should be aware of or concerned about?

The multi-room DVR is the same as the standard DVR, but with extra software features enabled.

The QIP7216 DVR may offer slightly better SD output quality than the older QIP6416 DVR. Both models will periodically "forget" how much free space is available. This is a known issue; to"fix" it, is unplug the box for 30 seconds.
AbMagFab's Avatar AbMagFab 05:34 PM 05-28-2009
Thanks so much!
Up
Mobile  Desktop