holy crap I think my SA 8300HD just kicked the bucket... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-05-2009, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, I already thought the 8300HD was the worst DVR I had ever used (at least in comparison to a TV or even DTV Tivo Lite), but anyway, I come home to watch the Burn Notice season premier and whenever I try and play it it just goes to the DVR channel without playing it.

So i'm like "wtf?" and reboot. The first one is unsucessful, spits out a few weird codes, but the second time it works normal.

Anyway now basically it either goes to the DVR splash screen or barely plays my program with a bunch of studdering and freezups. And regular TV is fine, unless I try and use the buffer (so I gues if you dont use the buffer it's only utilizing the cable box).

Sooooo anyway, here's what really pisses me off, there's NO way to transfer the stuff off and try and save anything? I had 20+ programs on there! The gomer I called at comcast offers to have a tech come out, but I ask "can the tech actually DO anything for me? Will he be able to repair my box", the guy says "no, he'll probably swap it out for a new one"....can't I do that myself? and do it much faster. I eman if i'm gonna lose all my stuff, might as well do it before I lose even more programs.

Still...i'm mighty pissed off. These things suck enough as it is. I mean, they have USB ports and stuff, the least they could do is have some kind of salvage feature or transfer ability so I can save some of the stuff and transfer it to the new box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-11-2009, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

Ok, I already thought the 8300HD was the worst DVR I had ever used (at least in comparison to a TV or even DTV Tivo Lite), but anyway, I come home to watch the Burn Notice season premier and whenever I try and play it it just goes to the DVR channel without playing it.

So i'm like "wtf?" and reboot. The first one is unsucessful, spits out a few weird codes, but the second time it works normal.

Anyway now basically it either goes to the DVR splash screen or barely plays my program with a bunch of studdering and freezups. And regular TV is fine, unless I try and use the buffer (so I gues if you dont use the buffer it's only utilizing the cable box).

Sooooo anyway, here's what really pisses me off, there's NO way to transfer the stuff off and try and save anything? I had 20+ programs on there! The gomer I called at comcast offers to have a tech come out, but I ask "can the tech actually DO anything for me? Will he be able to repair my box", the guy says "no, he'll probably swap it out for a new one"....can't I do that myself? and do it much faster. I eman if i'm gonna lose all my stuff, might as well do it before I lose even more programs.

Still...i'm mighty pissed off. These things suck enough as it is. I mean, they have USB ports and stuff, the least they could do is have some kind of salvage feature or transfer ability so I can save some of the stuff and transfer it to the new box.

Yes, I know, kind of annoying. But with current implementations of the technology, the files on the disk are encrypted, and if the unit's dead, no real way to transfer them off. Hard disk loss is pretty much total, but it doesn't sound like you're quite at that point. In theory, they could set up a way to clone the units, transfer the unit/encryption ID but I guess they're hesitant to do that, someone somewhere would figure it out and use it to make multiple copies.

Paul Jones
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page