Record HD questions.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-11-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right forum. But heres my question...

I got a DCT6416 III with HDMI about 5 months back and haven't had any problems with it. Records all my episodes perfectly. The only thing is it gets filled up so fast. Is there anyway to take those files off the 6416 and transfer them to my PC, I noticed theres a USB port on there.

Another question I have is.. I have a M9250F HP media center computer with a tv tuner. I am using windows media center to do all the recordings since it has a built in tv guide thing. The files are quite large, for a 30 minute show its 1.5 GB.. space isn't really a problem, its more the file type. It gets saved as a .dvr-ms file. Are there better programs out there that can record shows and save them as an .avi file or xvid???

This question is related to my PC as well.. I am only able to record SD on my PC. Is there anyway I can hook up my DCT6416 to my PC and record HD?? Or what other options would I have so I can record HD with my PC.

Thanks for any info/help.. greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-11-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Generally, AVS members use the HDTV Recorders forum for all HD recording questions.

There is no way to download or transfer recordings from the Motorola DVR to a PC. You can use Firewire to copy recordings (in real-time) from most local channels as they are played. This does not work for content recorded from encrypted (non-local) HD channels like TNTHD, USAHD, and ESPNHD.

If you want to expand storage capacity and/or the ability to actually download recordings, then you'll have to purchase of your own CableCard DVR (TivoHD or Moxi). Those products allow you to expand capacity, and TiVo allows you to download recordings to your PC over the network. No Motorola DVR anywhere offers those features.

If you were to buy a QAM tuner for your PC, you could use Vista Media Center (or other software) as a DVR to record local HD channels. This does not work for encrypted cable channels like TNTHD, USAHD, SciFiHD, ESPNHD, etc. For more information on that, see the HTPC forum.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-11-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page