SA 8300HD trying to add a sata drive Cablevision - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-15-2009, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a graid 2tb sata drive.
When I go into diagnostic menu the cable box sees the internal (which is full)and the external drive which is empty.

But when I go to the dvr mode it only shows the internal (its loaded with hd material)

I've booted it drive first then cable box but the cable box does not see it in the dvr mode nor does it allow me to format it

cablevision says the only capatible drive is Western Digital DVR Expander
why??? its just a hard drive.

Is there software need for this?
makes no sense
HELP!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-11-2009, 08:46 AM

I think the max capacity that the Cablevision version of the SA8300HD is 500GB.
I'm not sure any sata drive will work or if it needs to be the Western Digital My DVR Expander 500 GB eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive that Cablevision recommends? I'd like to know if anyones if this is true?
post #3 of 6 Old 08-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I added an external eSata drive:
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
+
VANTEC NST-360SU-BK 3.5" eSATA + USB2.0 Aluminum External Enclosure - Retail

It seems to work just fine. I do not leave it on all the time, because the 8300 will record to whichever drive (internal or external) has more room on it, so it will beat my add-on drive to death if I leave it powered up. I only turn it on if I figure I am possibly going to run out of room (requires unplugging the 8300, powering on the drive, then plugging in the 8300 to reboot and see the drive). The 8300 saw the drive the first time, and offered to format it. I do not use it to archive material permanently.

I think the enclosure used for the external drive may be the issue. I first tried a Seagate external drive package (one that supported both eSata & USB2.0) and it refused to work. Then I found a table somewhere with entries from folks who found working combinations and ordered the above items from Newegg.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #4 of 6 Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Is it true theres a 500GB limit?

I had a 500GB calvary externa SATA drive that started to go, so I bought a new Buffalo Tech 1.5TB drive / enclosure but the SA8300HD unit after a reboot does not ever "see" the drive.

It will freeze for a second or 2 if I power on/off the external drive while the cable box is booted. But from a cold boot, with the 1.5TB drive already attached, it never prompts me to format the external storage for use with the drive.

EDIT: I've already tested the new 1.5TB drive on my pc and it works just fine.

post #5 of 6 Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 AM

Hi RICH86 ...

Just ran across the problem you mention in your post regarding having to reboot the 8300HD so that it can "see" the external drive. I do appreciate that the thread is just over one year old and thought that you might have found another "more elegant" solution to adding recording space.

I have the Western Digital "May Book AV DVR Expander".

Thanks, Ray

P.S.: I've addressed my question to RICH86 but if anyone has found a workaround to the reboot, please feel free to respond.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 AM

Also have Cablevision/Optimum - Just adding as I know people have been looking at drive options.

Well, tried the WD My Book expander initially, which stopped working after 6 months and had other issues. Example: I could only get the SA8300HD to recognize the My Book by powering the My Book on after the SA8300HD had booted.

I then tried a few years old AMS Venus I had lying around. NOTE: This caused the SA8300HD to continually reboot and perform diagnostics (hex countdown). The USB/esata enclosure interface also looks to have burned out.

Eventually ended up with the Vantec, which I didn't initially realize had been posted here (Vantec NexStar 3 3.5" SATA to USB 2.0 & eSATA External Hard Drive Enclosure (Onyx Black) - Model NST-360SU-BK)

I also used the following disk (also from newegg).

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive, which was $65.

For this combo, the reboot was completely smooth. Powered on drive, powered on SA8300HD. When I turned the TV on, the format screen was already displayed, no hesitation or hangs. It has only been a week, but no issues so far. I do leave the external drive powered on.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page