Moxi Failure Means Loss of Hard Drive Recordings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unfortunately my Charter Moxi box (BMC 9012) failed, but my external 500 Gb hard drive was still running. All reset and reboot attempts to restore the Moxi failed, but the hard drive, at 86% full, still has a lot of saved shows.

From the FAQs, it states that it is impossible to use the hard drive on another Moxi. I thought that I would give it a try...
From my other Charter Moxi (same model), I disconnected its 500 Gb hard drive, and plugged in the first hard drive which spun up, however, the other Moxi demanded that it be formatted to work. Like the documentation says, once formatted, it will only work with the Moxi that did the format.

I unplugged the first hard drive and re-inserted the second - it spun up and its programs were still available.

It is hard to believe that a copy for personal use can't be played on anything but the original Moxi! There would be no copying of the material, just substituting a different player. An analogous situation would be buying or making a music CD, but it would only work on the player that made it!

Ok, it may have something to do with copyrights, but if it is legal to make a copy for personal use, it shouldn't matter what unit it's played on, should it?
Is this problem an interpretation of the law, or should the law be clarified to make this legal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Check out the new moxi box... charter stopped using the 9012 because they're not M-Card boxes, but went to the moto boxes instead. The new MOXI looks really nice, good competition to TiVo... Uses cablecards... and you own it.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page