ATSC DVR for standard def TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-31-2009, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My dad has a large CRT that he isn't planning on replacing, and they don't want to pay for cable. They are using a digital tuner fine, but the VCR isn't cutting it as you can't specify a channel to record with it, and my mom might change the channel (or my dad and forget). So they are looking for a DVR that can record with the new digitally only broadcasts.

Cost is probably the biggest issue. I could get a $300 TiVo HD, but the $13/month is ridiculous.

The TV is standard definition, so he'd be recording SD content where possible.

A harddrive would be preferable, but I even know if recording direct to DVD is even an option.

Recording to DVD isn't necessary as he could always just record to VHS from the DVR if he wanted to keep something around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-31-2009, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
A DVD recorder with built-in ATSC tuner would probably be your best bet.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-01-2009, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Do you have any recommendations for a model? My search fu is failing to get me a decent list to compare.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-01-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I think we've decided on the Magnavox H2080MW8, which has a harddrive and a DVD recorder, and can be had refurbished for ~$130.

The next cheapest with a hard drive is the Magnavox H2160MW9A from Walmart for $250.

The other DVD recorder options without a hard drive, but with VHS were:
Panasonic DMR-EZ485VK ~$270
Toshiba DVR670 ~$250
LG RC897T ~$240
JVC DR-MV150B ~$240

And this one that was just a DVD recorder:
Toshiba DR570 ~$180
post #5 of 5 Old 08-02-2009, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
You could take a chance on the H2080 refurb, but the one I had was pretty erratic, and I ended up returning it (a couple of years ago, when they first came out). For OTA using the ATSC tuner, it may be alright, though (most people in the DVD Recorders forum buying them right now seem happy enough with them). The H2160 refurbs would be even better, if you can find them (the newer, H2160A model available at Wal-Mart.com has a pretty big "finalization bug" with DVD's - you can't finalize them if you have any event timers set - you'd have to erase all timers first, then finalize, then reset them. Most people just choose a time to finalize a pile all at once. Otherwise, it should be fine for timer recording from the ATSC tuner).

You might want to consider the $250.00 DTV Pal DVR, which is a two-tunered, no-fee ATSC DVR with a guide to program through. There's a thread on it in the "HDTV Recorders" forum (it records in HD, but you can use it downscaled on an SD set - it should look even better than the SD Magnavox on their TV). The original firmware was really buggy (they're basically using the consumers for quality control), but subsequent firmware updates have progressively made it more stable (it can be upgraded through it's USB port). It also has a newer generation ATSC reception chip in it than the Maggie, which should be noticably more sensitive.

Definitely a hard drive model is best. Once they get used to it, they won't be able to live without it.

Anyway, refer to the "DVD Recorders" forum here for the SD recorders (with or without HDD's), and the "HDTV Recorder" one for HD recorders. You'll get all the information you need over there.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page