Options for 1 TIVO, but playing on multiple TVs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-27-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a FIOS customer with 2 TVs. On one TV I have a FIOS HD box (upstairs) and on the other, I have TIVO HD (downstairs).

It is rare that both TVs are used simultaneously, so I am trying to figure out how I can get by with just the one HD Tivo feeding both TVs....this saves $10 a month on the FIOS bill.

Here are some of the options I have thought of....I'm hoping people here have something better.

1. Slingbox with a sling catcher....never used it, but from what I've read, this would accomplish the task. Downside is that it will be expensive to implement.

2. If I hooked up both HDMI and Component cables (with audio as well) to the TIVO, would the TIVO play both or is only one live? If both are live, then I could simply run the extra cables....but then I need to figure out how to remote control the TIVO downstairs from upstairs?

3. TIVO desktop software....I have a compter near the upstairs TV...can I simply stream video to the computer upstairs to be displayed on upstairs TV? I thought I read somewhere that you can only transfer recorded shows...this would rule out live tv?

4 Anyone else got a thought on this?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrogan View Post

2. If I hooked up both HDMI and Component cables (with audio as well) to the TIVO, would the TIVO play both or is only one live? If both are live, then I could simply run the extra cables....but then I need to figure out how to remote control the TIVO downstairs from upstairs?

I haven't tried it myself, but according to the Tivo Community forums, both ouputs should be live:

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=369008

As for the remote control issue, there are remote control extenders (the Terk Leapfrog is one) that will transmit your remote's signals to another room using wireless RF. I used something like this back when I had a regular Tivo and wanted to watch it from two rooms; I used a wireless transmitter to transmit video and audio, too, but that was with standard def, composite cables. I don't have two HDTVs, so I've never tried to do anything similar with HD.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page