What does Directv do to their Hard Drives? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-04-2009, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a HR22 from Buy.com Put in a 1.5TB HD internally. Everything is Good! Tons of DVR time.

So, I'm planning a Reformat of a Dual Boot MacBook Pro w/ Leopard and Vista on it to upgrade to Snow leopard and Windows 7. I need a 500 GB HD to back up the Laptop. Well since I have the Drive from the HR22 around, thought I would use it, after all it's just sitting there and not pulling it's weight around here! I put it in an enclosure and tried to mount the drive in Windows, Vista wanted to initialize the drive and that failed with a CRC error.

Booted up OSX, figured UNIX would do the deal. Nope, same problem, can't do anything with the drive.

Thought it was the enclosure, bought a new one. Nope, same errors. Downloaded the WD Diagnostics for that drive. They said Cable Problem?? And wouldn't see the drive. This is all with Esata and USB connections.

Opened a Computer and connected to a Sata header. Computer would complain on Bootup saying drive failure hit F1 to resume. Hit F1 and you go to this strange WAIT screen I've never seen before. Computer would not enter BIOS or BOOT as long as this drive was connected.

Opened another Computer, hooked up to the SATA header, same deal, will not enter BIOS or BOOT as long as this drive is hooked up. Goes to this strange WAIT screen??

Hooked up as external device to a Directv Esata port on the HR22. Boot the box, the drive gets formatted and now lets me record to it!!

Pulled off, hooked up to computer and back to the wait screen!

Seriously locked down drive! I just want to use it to back up my computer!

Any suggestions how to whack this drive? Bad thing is that for the cost of that extra enclosure I could have bought another 500GB drive!
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page