DVR/CATV symbols and Output claims - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Motorola DCH3416 connected over HDMI to my Onkyo TX-807. I just hooked up my surround speakers so I was trying to play something in surround. I had Die Hard recorded. The info on it said 'Surround Sound' but my receiver was reporting 'Dolby, 2.0 ch' input, '5.1 output'. What gives?
I tried another movie, the Matrix, and my receiver reported 'dolby 5.1' input and output.
Was that just a coincedence that I checked and they had a mistake? Or was my receiver able to decode Die Hard because it was designated Dolby?

Also, does anyone know where I can find a list of all of the symbols and their descriptions? Example, CC means closed Captioning...
Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-28-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
One of many DVD/video glossary and acronym lists.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-28-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentcar View Post

I have a Motorola DCH3416 connected over HDMI to my Onkyo TX-807. I just hooked up my surround speakers so I was trying to play something in surround. I had Die Hard recorded. The info on it said 'Surround Sound' but my receiver was reporting 'Dolby, 2.0 ch' input, '5.1 output'. What gives?

What channel did you record it on? Also, "surround sound" can sometimes just mean 2-channel content with Pro-Logic II matrix coding for the surround channels. Depends on the program and the channel serving it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentcar View Post

I tried another movie, the Matrix, and my receiver reported 'dolby 5.1' input and output.
Was that just a coincedence that I checked and they had a mistake? Or was my receiver able to decode Die Hard because it was designated Dolby?

Well, "Dolby" doesn't (necessarily) mean "surround"; all digital cable content has Dolby Digital audio, but the channel configuration can vary, based on which channel you're watching and what program you're watching. Most common are, of course, Dolby Digital 2.0 (stereo) and Dolby Digital 5.1 (full discrete surround), but occasionally you'll see others. (A few SD news channels use DD 1.0, which is a mono channel config.)
post #4 of 4 Old 09-28-2009, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

What channel did you record it on? Also, "surround sound" can sometimes just mean 2-channel content with Pro-Logic II matrix coding for the surround channels. Depends on the program and the channel serving it up.

Well, "Dolby" doesn't (necessarily) mean "surround"; all digital cable content has Dolby Digital audio, but the channel configuration can vary, based on which channel you're watching and what program you're watching. Most common are, of course, Dolby Digital 2.0 (stereo) and Dolby Digital 5.1 (full discrete surround), but occasionally you'll see others. (A few SD news channels use DD 1.0, which is a mono channel config.)

Thanks for the info. I don't recall the specific channel and I have deleted the recording.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page