Where to "buy" a DirecTV HR21 Reciever?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-28-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I am interested in obtaining a DirecTV HD DVR HR21. I see I can get it from them for $199. If it lives up to it's promise, that's not bad at all.

Now, for the topic I am sure has been discussed...

Where can I buy this unit so that I OWN it? Buying from DirecTV introduces a $5/month lease fee, which is a lame way of getting more money out of you. I've been reading different things about people buying this equipment from other retailers and then DirecTV still assessing the lease fee.

And, shouldn't this be a "lease to own"? So, after how many months should I have to pay this fee before I actually own the device? Seems to me that DirecTV would just continually charge you until it's time to replace it, and then require you to return it. If that's the case, then they should just charge a rental fee and skip the $199 price tag.

Should I just suck it up and buy it from them and pay the $199 tag and the lease fee? Or do I look for it and buy it to own?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-28-2009, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman82 View Post

Where can I buy this unit so that I OWN it? Buying from DirecTV introduces a $5/month lease fee, which is a lame way of getting more money out of you. I've been reading different things about people buying this equipment from other retailers and then DirecTV still assessing the lease fee.

You can't get an HR21 outside a lease. By the time the HR21 came out, D* had long since changed over to all-leased, all-the-time. So, your only option is to accept their arrangement - or not use D*.

Quote:

And, shouldn't this be a "lease to own"?

Well, what should be and what is have rarely ever resembled one another; there's not much to be done about that.

Quote:

Should I just suck it up and buy it from them and pay the $199 tag and the lease fee?

This is pretty much your only option. Sorry to be the one to break it to you.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 AM

Dealer cost on the 21 is $79 - so I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would sell one to you... But (just to clarify), the $5 a month applies whether they give you one on a long term lease as part of a contract or whether you own your own...

David Feller
post #4 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Buying from DirecTV introduces a $5/month lease fee, which is a lame way of getting more money out of you. I've been reading different things about people buying this equipment from other retailers and then DirecTV still assessing the lease fee.

Actually, the DVR fee is $5.99/mo. DirecTV figures that most people would rather pay $99-$199 plus $6/mo rather than $400 or more.

In past conference calls, DirecTV indicated their own hardware cost for the HR21 DVR was $250. Dealers and retailers pay around 1/3 of that, as indicated above. That leaves DirecTV with a substantial loss on every unit of hardware sold, to say nothing about the cost of the DVR software and ongoing software development.

As is obvious from the above, Dish Network and DirecTV subsidize the cost of the DVRs and software development with the programming fees, which is why both require a two-year service commitment with every DVR activation.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Call me crazy but I cant help finding something wrong, almost sleezy, with the way Directv handles the "leased" receiver thing.

So if I want to upgrade to an HD DVR for Directv, they make me "rent" one from them for an excessive $199 + $5.99 per month. Give me a break.

There is no good explanation for this, other than that's just their policy and we have to suck it up if we want to be a Directv customer. There are other ways to go about this other than blood sucking.

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #6 of 16 Old 11-14-2009, 06:21 AM

I believe you can own the HR21 Pro @ http://www.weaknees.com/directv-hd-dvr.php#hr21pro

Here is the quote from weaknees:

Can I purchase / own the HR21 Pro HD DVR, or will any order from weaKnees be considered a lease?

The HR21P (HR21 Pro) will be considered owned, not leased.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-14-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bur1196 View Post

I believe you can own the HR21 Pro @ http://www.weaknees.com/directv-hd-dvr.php#hr21pro

Here is the quote from weaknees:

Can I purchase / own the HR21 Pro HD DVR, or will any order from weaKnees be considered a lease?

The HR21P (HR21 Pro) will be considered owned, not leased.

Note however, that you still don't avoid the DVR fee. The DVR fee pays for the cost of the software.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-01-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

Call me crazy but I cant help finding something wrong, almost sleezy, with the way Directv handles the "leased" receiver thing.

So if I want to upgrade to an HD DVR for Directv, they make me "rent" one from them for an excessive $199 + $5.99 per month. Give me a break.

There is no good explanation for this, other than that's just their policy and we have to suck it up if we want to be a Directv customer. There are other ways to go about this other than blood sucking.

Directv is not for everyone. Directv is meant to be a premier sattelite TV provider. Some people buy cheap boxed set surround sound systems and love them others spend thousands of dollars on surround systems because they know the difference.

There are cheaper ways to view HDTV there are cheaper cable providers who have less programming and cheaper equipment you can always try one of those.

As far as the equipment you have to "rent" well I know that there are people out there who lease cars and they have to *gasp* put gas in them and OMG if it breaks down they actually have to pay their mechanic but its a lease they don't even own it WTF? Then there are those people who "buy" their car with the banks money they borrowed and even though the bank owns the car they still have to pay for its maintenance...ohhh shucks the world just isn't fair.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post

As far as the equipment you have to "rent" well I know that there are people out there who lease cars and they have to *gasp* put gas in them and OMG if it breaks down they actually have to pay their mechanic but its a lease they don't even own it WTF? Then there are those people who "buy" their car with the banks money they borrowed and even though the bank owns the car they still have to pay for its maintenance...ohhh shucks the world just isn't fair.

Feeble attempt on the analogy, Oledurt. A leased satellite receiver is hardly similar to a leased car. You dont have to maintain or provide fuel for a DVR in any way close to how you maintain a car. Most people's Directv boxes never need any maintenance at all.

Not to mention when you lease a car you eventually will own it. Unlike a Directv receiver you can lease it for years, paying well enough to cover it's cost several times over, yet still have to give it back if you ever cancel your service! I think anyone with half a brain can understand my frustration.

post #10 of 16 Old 12-01-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not to mention when you lease a car you eventually will own it.

Wrong. If you lease a car, at the end of your lease term, the car goes back to the dealer, just like when you cancel your D* sub, the D* box goes back to them. A car dealer might offer your a purchase option after the lease is up; D* doesn't. And you have to pay for your subscription, otherwise D* won't let you keep it, just like if you stop making your lease payments. It's not all that different.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Arguing semantics. You'll most likely have the option to buy a car, and I think my point was made.

Your point doesnt account for the fact that when you lease a car you dont usually have to make a big down payment either, as compared to a Directv receiver you are charged a $199 fee which is a total ripoff. It would make more sense to give us the receiver without the $199 fee, and just charge us the $5.99 every month. I could live with that as it would seem more like a rental or lease. The $199 is the root of what frustrates me about this. I wish I could live with shady business practice that reminds me of extortion but sorry it just bothers me.

post #12 of 16 Old 12-01-2009, 10:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Your point doesnt account for the fact that when you lease a car you dont usually have to make a big down payment either, as compared to a Directv receiver you are charged a $199 fee which is a total ripoff. It would make more sense to give us the receiver without the $199 fee, and just charge us the $5.99 every month. I could live with that as it would seem more like a rental or lease. The $199 is the root of what frustrates me about this. I wish I could live with shady business practice that reminds me of extortion but sorry it just bothers me.

As noted above, DirecTV hardware cost for every HR21 is (or was) $250. In addition, they spend tens of millions every year on STB/DVR R&D (software, etc).

I don't see DirecTV recouping those costs if the receiver is free. You can have a hefty upfront purchase price, a hefty monthly fee (many cable co's charge ~$20/mo for inferior DVRs with 1/3 the capacity), or a modest upfront fee with a modest DVR fee. DirecTV chose the third option.

If you want to buy your own HDTV DVR for cable, the Moxi sells for $499 w/o fees. The DirecTV DVR would probably cost a comparable amount of they did away with the DVR and outlet fees.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-02-2009, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

If you want to buy your own HDTV DVR for cable, the Moxi sells for $499 w/o fees. The DirecTV DVR would probably cost a comparable amount of they did away with the DVR and outlet fees.

I think I briefly looked into buying a receiver from Best Buy, but I remember reading somewhere that even if I purchased it from BB I'd still have to give it back upon ending my service with Directv. Is this true? Sounds ludicrous.

I dont think keeping it would matter much anyway as I dont know what I'd do with it after not being a Directv customer any more...can it even be used with other satellite tv providers?

post #14 of 16 Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

can it even be used with other satellite tv providers?

The only other major sat provider these days in the US is EchoStar/Dish Networks, and no, you can't use the DirecTV DVR (or any other DirecTV reception equipment) with Dish; they use completely incompatible standards, unlike cable systems where things are at least based on the same transmission standards, even if they require some different infrastructure.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

The only other major sat provider these days in the US is EchoStar/Dish Networks, and no, you can't use the DirecTV DVR (or any other DirecTV reception equipment) with Dish; they use completely incompatible standards, unlike cable systems where things are at least based on the same transmission standards, even if they require some different infrastructure.

Thanks for the answer. Then what is the point to "owning" one of these receivers?? I can see no benefit.

post #16 of 16 Old 12-02-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the answer. Then what is the point to "owning" one of these receivers?? I can see no benefit.

You can't "own" a DirecTV receiver. DirecTV sells its $250 (their cost) DVR for retail stores and resellers for around $75, then the retail stores turn around and charge $199. DirecTV charges a $5.99 DVR fee per account to support the costs associated with the service, and they require a two-year programming commitment with every DVR activation.

You can pay extra to "own" a Dish Network DVR, but that only allows you to avoid the two-year programming commitment. It does not reduce or eliminate any fees.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page