SA 8000HD - DVI different than component - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-14-2009, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using an SA 8000HD for a few years on component output, since my Samsung DLP didn't work with the DVI. My new Panny plasma works with a DVI/HDMI cable, but the signal has a problem. Black levels are very crushed, showing only black for anything below medium gray. No amount of picture adjustment will help. The component output is fine, and looks much better.

Is this a known problem with this DVR, and does the 8300HD do the same thing?

Fussy Viewer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-15-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Not sure if this might apply to your situation, but I just posted this info for another user :

"If you have to convert your HDMI to DVI, use an adapter, but remember that DVI only carries video, no audio, so you'll have to add L/R audio cables. Look for a DVI setting in your TV and turn it ON. Some TVs don't have a specific DVI "setting" but instruct you to use a specific HDMI input for DVI (mine says use HDMI-2), so just use the HDMI-DVI input the manual specifies. If you've got a 1366x768 (720p) TV that shows a dark pic, it might also produce a brighter pic. In fact, even if you're using pure HDMI, try turning the TV's DVI setting ON or use the TV-manual-specified HDMI-DVI input just to see if PQ is improved.

If using a DVI setting or HDMI-DVI input on your TV, set this DVDR's HDMI Format to RGB and NOT YCbCr, cuz RGB is DVI's native format.

If your HDTV also has a setting for "Overscan," try setting it OFF to see if it increases your PQ. Your TV's Overscan function can also affect pic size for JPG/JPEG pics. When using HDMI or Component input on your TV, and you notice poor quality or clipping of JPG/JPEGs (5-10%) from all sides, it could be caused by your TV's Overscan function. You should look for "Overscan" in your TV menus and turn it OFF to see if it helps."
post #3 of 4 Old 10-15-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

...In fact, even if you're using pure HDMI, try turning the TV's DVI setting ON or use the TV-manual-specified HDMI-DVI input just to see if PQ is improved.

If using a DVI setting or HDMI-DVI input on your TV, set this DVDR's HDMI Format to RGB and NOT YCbCr, cuz RGB is DVI's native format.

The TV has no DVI setting or DVI/HDMI input, nor is there a RGB/YCbCr adjustment on either device. Isn't DVI supposed to be the same video signal as HDMI, without any conversion? I'll play some more with settings, but I'm not optimistic. I might also send it through my Yamaha receiver to see if that does anything. In any case, there should not be a big difference between the two.

Fussy Viewer
post #4 of 4 Old 10-15-2009, 05:19 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

"If you have to convert your HDMI to DVI, use an adapter,"

And the logic behind this is...?
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List