Processor: AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.4GHz
Motherboard: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Memory: 2GB DDR 400
HD: 1TB Seagate
Tuner: Hauppauge HVR-2250
Video Card: BFG 7800GTX
Sound: Realtek HD onboard

The TV is a Samsung 46" 1080p LCD
I can't remember the model of the sound system at the moment. It is a Samsung, but I don't believe that is important.

Anyways, This is my first attempt at an HTPC. I am only using this device for over the air ATSC broadcasts. I am using a DVI to HDMI cord to plug in to the TV's video, and an optical cable to the surround sound for audio. The TV does have a VGA port with a 3.5mm "Audio In" for PC use, but I figured that HDMI would be better to use, I would also like to keep my 5.1 sound if possible. My motherboard has both Coaxial and Optical SPDIF out, but my surround sound only has optical input.

So here's the problem. When I first start Media Center, the audio is synced fine with the video. After a while the audio starts to lag behind the video... No more than 1 second... Just enough to be annoying. If I close out of Media Center and re-open it, the audio is in sync again. The delay seems to be worse if I rewind or fast forward. The problem occurs on both Live TV and Recorded TV. I have not tried DVD as the HTPC doesn't have an optical drive. (I use my PS3 for DVDs... LOVE the upscaling).

So here's what I've tried thus far:
Update Video Drivers - Check
Update Tuner Drivers - Check
Update Motherboard BIOS - Check

When this first started happening, I plugged my headphones in to the 3.5mm jack on the HTPC and it seemed to be in sync, so only the optical was lagging. Now, however, the analog output does not seem to be working. I can't get any sound out of it no matter what I do. I have not gone so far as to reinstall Win7 though.

I really love the interface and speed of Win7 Media Center so I'd rather not switch to something like Mythbuntu.

Is there anything else I can try to get this problem resolved? It isn't a huge deal to close out of Media Center every once in a while to re-sync it but it does get annoying.

Thank you for any suggestions that you might have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since this last post, I have swapped out my nVidia for a Radeon HD 4350 so that I could get the audio streaming through the HDMI cable. And I have added an AverMedia HD Duet tuner. However, I am still experiencing this issue. If I could use MythTV or MediaPortal I would, but neither seem to support both of my tuners. Any suggestions in this matter would be really appreciated. I'm stumped here. I'm tempted to try Vista MC or XP MCE but I've heard that the features aren't as great as Win7 MC.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-18-2009, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

I have just reinstalled Windows 7. I am still having this issue with both of my tuners. I think it's more of a problem with Media Center than the cards... Because it happens when using either tuner card. The audio is in sync when I start watching live tv (or recorded) and as I continue watching, the audio gets progressively delayed. I just can't figure this one out. I would try to use Windows XP with MediaPortal, but I don't want to pay for guide data... so If anyone has a method of doing that, I'd be willing to try.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-23-2009, 01:53 PM

I suspect you are using the optical port from onboard audio. This option works perfectly for me in mce05 watching dvd's, dont have a tuner. My dvr does that too easily to complicate my htpc. If I were you I would try putting in a cheap soundcard with digital out, if you have one. I wouldnt run out and buy one but it might be worth a try. Also does your a/v receiver have adjustment for lipsync delay?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-27-2009, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestion, but as I mentioned before, I have tried using the onboard optical and the Radeon HD 4350's built in HDMI. Both of these methods produce the same result. The audio is in sync when I first start media center, but gets progressively more delayed as I watch live tv, especially if I pause and fast forward.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-11-2010, 12:29 PM

I'm using the 2250 and 4350 with WMC and experience the same thing. I haven't figured it out yet either! Have you had any luck since your last post? In my setup I've only connected to my TV via HDMI. The fact that restarting WMC clears up the problem sure points to WMC as the culprit. One interesting observation I've made is that sometimes when a new tv show starts it will be synced even though the one I just finished watching was not. Makes me think that WMC is not the problem but so far restarting WMC always brings the video and audio back in sync. This problem is driving me nuts!

Am planning to do some experimenting with the Haupppage software and will let you know how that goes. I like WMC a lot better and would prefer to keep using it so I hope one of us or someone else can find a solution!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your input. It's nice to know that someone else is having a similar problem. I have not made any progress since my last post. I have just been Logging Out and back in when the A/V sync gets annoying enough. If you find anything or have any tips... Please let me know!
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page