8300HDC + Navigator - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2009, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had a 8300HDC with Passport for ~2 years now (Bright House in Tampa Bay area). Nothing spectacular, but everything more-or-less worked consistently. This week apparently they rolled out some upgrades to Navigator. My experience so far has been terrible.

First and foremost, it is sssssssslllllllloooooooooooooooowwwwwwww. I mean basic things like looking at the program info or guide; basically all menu navigation is glacial compared to the Passport software.

Secondly, my eSATA drive doesn't seem to work with it anymore. Granted it was never officially supported, but still a pain. I think I've successfully recorded two shows on it, but since then have been unable to record anything with it attached. The drive seems to be recognized (at least it impacts the free space available), but none of the recordings on it show up and I just cannot record any shows with it plugged in. If I unplug it and reboot I can record shows on the (tiny) internal drive. I might try reformatting the drive as a last-ditch effort, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. Also, I've noticed that if I plug it in after turning the 8300HDC on it forces a reboot; I don't know if this is normal or not.

The third thing is that now it passes through all signals. Previously I had it do the conversion to 720p (my TV resolution) because my TV is really slow at switching. Whenever I change to a channel with different resolution it takes an additional 4 or 5 seconds to handle the signal change on top of the extremely slow menu navigation; it is quite frustrating.

There are a few other minor changes (i.e. removed features) that annoy me, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over them. The issues I describe above, however, are killers for me. Is it supposed to be this slow, or could something be wrong with my device? What about the hard drive; I've tried rebooting a few times and it doesn't help. I've considered going with a TiVo, but $300 up front for the box on top of various service packages seems a bit steep. Is the 8300HDC + Navigator salvageable, or should I take a harder look at the TiVo? I'll probably see if Bright House can replace my unit if I can't get the drive issue sorted out over the weekend, but if that doesn't work I'm not sure what I'll do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 11:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You might see whether Brighthouse offers the Samsung 3090/3270 in your area. Both are based on a newer, faster CPU than the 8300HDC. You do give up PIP capability.

If you aren't satisfied with one of those, then it may be time to take a look at TiVo.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:00 PM

I've noticed that it no longer groups channels by favorites in the guide. So now it's even harder to use.

I'm really thinking of switching to Tivo or possibly even DirecTV now.