Houston Police Officer trying to enhance video from DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-02-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, Yes I am a real Houston Police Officer. I am working an Aggravated Robbery right now and I have a video that was taken on a DVR system at a motel. I took the video to our video lab but the lady told me they cannot enhance digital video, only video from tape.

Is there anyone that can help me or point me in the right direction?

I would be willing to share the video if you think you can help. The one file I need enhanced is of a license plate on a car.

Thx
Mark
Hou TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's possible but it's expensive. Very expensive. Look in the phone book for video production services. If the video quality is bad, it won't help in the way it's seen on cop shows on TV. If the data isn't there, it's not easy to make it look good in a way that won't be seen as "manipulating" the video and that would probably make it inadmissable in court.

Cameras that have license plate resolution are expensive but they are available. I think people who sell security cameras often make decisions about what they'll include in the system without asking the right questions.

I don't do much work with security cameras but when I see video of a crime and it looks like it was shot by the idiots who "filmed" Bigfoot, it makes me want to go to the place and find out who sold, set up and installed the system. Video with low resolution is useless and good cameras with a DVR that has enough storage to allow recording with higher resolution are expensive. Business owners don't like/want to pay for the better equipment. They often don't see the benefit of the extra camera(s) that would allow seeing events that make a big difference in an investigation and I just spent a couple of hours watching the video on a DVR I installed, to see if the guy who robbed a dry cleaner walked away or got into a car. The cameras I installed weren't supposed to cover that building's exterior and in looking at the place that was robbed, they have nothing covering the doors from the outside. Sure, the guy looked right at the cameras inside and sure, he went to high school with the girl he robbed and they have known he has been robbing many places recently but they wanted to know if he was assisted.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Your local TV station can probably do what you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #4 of 5 Old 11-06-2009, 12:19 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6437 View Post

Ok, Yes I am a real Houston Police Officer. I am working an Aggravated Robbery right now and I have a video that was taken on a DVR system at a motel. I took the video to our video lab but the lady told me they cannot enhance digital video, only video from tape.

I would be willing to share the video if you think you can help. The one file I need enhanced is of a license plate on a car.

Thx
Mark
Hou TX

You should call Teranex, they make military grade video processors that can certainly assist, there website is Teranex.com
post #5 of 5 Old 12-01-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6437 View Post

Thx
Mark
Hou TX

Well, send the video to CSI Miami, I am sure they can to that in a minute! Just Joking

Kudos, for trying to solve a case.

I was robbed at high noon at Target - Cypresswood-Harris County only 150' from the front door and the outside cameras. Unfortunately, the cameras are so bad they could not get the license plate clearly, and simply gave up on the case. Apparently Harris County Sheriff is in the same boat and has no way to clean up video.

According to the sheriff, the robberies in the parking at that Target occur 2 or 3 times a week and the criminals are never caught. A very sad state of affairs.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page