Need advice PVR DVR for HDTV Over Air use ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-14-2009, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need advice on a digital recording device with over the air HDTV capability and any other features perhaps useful down the internet road .

I prefer a stand alone set up no fees !. I Purchase it's a done deal I own it .

We have two TV'S an older Sony with a converter box and a Samsung LED

All my connections are in RG 6 or 59 coaxial cable .

As the cable is split too each TV , watching while recording isn't paramount .

Onkyo HT Receiver LG 390 Blu Ray DVD / which has internet capability .

It will have once I get off my duff and get a router and hook it up to something .

No Cable or Satellite but high speed wireless small roof top dish which is wired into my desk top computer currently .

Wife wants to record TV programs to view later , so I'm asking for suggestions on what's my best options ?.

Do I integrate into the Samsung or the Sony or cable between the two ?.

I'm assuming that a device with a digital tuner and 1080 would be necessary for the Sony if I played back the recordings on the Samsung .

Yet unnecessary if I just hook it up to the Samsung as it's digital HD already .

Have I confused you yet ?, because I'm lost . Help thank you .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-14-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCarbon View Post

As the cable is split too each TV , watching while recording isn't paramount .

No Cable or Satellite but high speed wireless small roof top dish which is wired into my desk top computer currently .

Wife wants to record TV programs to view later , so I'm asking for suggestions on what's my best options ?.

If you want OTA HD recording, your options are very limited. The two basic choices are the DTVPal DVR and TivoHD. Both are available without any fees, although the TiVo will cost twice as much. See the FAQs and feature comparison table in my signature to decide.

There are a number of other choices if you are willing to give up HD.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-14-2009, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You can also do a HDTV card in you computer that can do OTA digital channels, most of the newer cards do cable and OTA. I have a older Dvico fusion 3 that can do OTA if I want though right now I use it on my cable to record the clear QAM HD local channels my system carries.
Just make sure you CPU has enough juice, you have a decent video card, and a large extra hard drive or a bunch of external ones and your just about good to go. You can make AVCHD disk that will play on most blu ray players on regular DVD's or do some sort of TIVX media box or something and feed the output directly to your TV.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Bdftv ; I appreciate the info and looked at posted links .

Seems kind of expensive for a digital VCR or HDTV recorder .

Dartman ; As I'm more inclined to run my computer hook ups and have RAID on the Idle unit . Can you kind of detail what's the best set up and which way I should go ?.

I have an unused computer with a high end NVIDA video card , about twenty ft. from my Samsung . I used to use it for CAD work and it's setting idle as I have a newer unit in my office .

I can easily network my office desk top with Cat 5 or 6 too that idle unit or purchase a router hub and run them independently ( which I prefer ).

Then using something like this on currently Idle computer .

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1187...305090&sr=8-14

I would be able to record HDTV onto my currently unused computer. Then play it back on to my Samsung LED unit ?.

I'm interested in the least expensive way of doing just that .

As it's only TV programs and over the Air at that . Once we view them their history as we have NO intentions of keeping them or burning to DVD .

If it were up to me only my DVD collection would be played on HT .

However marriage doesn't work that way , does it !!.

Besides occasional local news and football I have little personal use for the Idiot box .

Thank you both for responding ...
post #5 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 10:28 AM

Check this out! It's the Echostar TR50 available at Sears as the DTVPal DVR. Looks like the ticket for OTA viewers. It records in SD or HD and has a TV schedule. NO FEES!
post #6 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well if that card fits a slot in your computer and you think the rest of it's up to snuff that would work. I haven't networked my TV card in here with the rest of the house for now, I generally just edit out the commercials and burn a DVD of the programs I want to watch in the main system. I probably will do some sort of networked hard drive equipped box of some sort eventually. My friend uses a Dvico TVIX networked box that can distribute his video files of just about any kind to any TV in his house, spendy but very nice.
Poke around this part of our forums for the info on building a HTPC http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26/
post #7 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 12:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bdftv ; I appreciate the info and looked at posted links .

Seems kind of expensive for a digital VCR or HDTV recorder .

For a standalone HDTV DVR, you aren't going to do better than $300. It wasn't long ago that less capable devices cost $800+.

Quote:

Dartman ; As I'm more inclined to run my computer hook ups and have RAID on the Idle unit . Can you kind of detail what's the best set up and which way I should go ?.

I have an unused computer with a high end NVIDA video card , about twenty ft. from my Samsung . I used to use it for CAD work and it's setting idle as I have a newer unit in my office

A HTPC setup requires much more effort to setup and maintain than "toasters" like the DTVPal DVR and TivoHD. The HTPC is the "geek" solution. I'm sure it would work fine for you, but I doubt that is what your wife had in mind when she asked for a HDTV recorder.

If you really want to proceed with a HTPC, then get the AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet ($60), Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 ($130), or the SiliconDust HDHomeRun ($150), along with a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. Do your research (HTPC forum) so you know what you are getting yourself into, and be prepared to hold your wife's hand while she uses it.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

bfdtv ;$ 300 is a do able deal and SIMPLER IS BETTER !.

The Idea is to get her using it , NOT ME !. TiVo looked like $600 plus when I looked .

So we are speaking of DTVPal DVR for half that right . OK I'm listening
you have my full attention .

What do I need to purchase to make it compatible with or connect too
the Samsung HDTV ?.

I have RG 59 cable & connectors HDMI CAT RCA along with that little square ended connector which I can't recall the name of at the moment.

TOSLINK that's it !. So where does one purchase a DTVPal DVR from ?.

Amazon I kind of dislike Sears since it became Kmart, more Chinese junk !!.

I follow instructions pretty well . Doc ...
post #9 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

bfdtv ;$ 300 is a do able deal and SIMPLER IS BETTER !.

The Idea is to get her using it , NOT ME !. TiVo looked like $600 plus when I looked .

So we are speaking of DTVPal DVR for half that right . OK I'm listening
you have my full attention .

What do I need to purchase to make it compatible with or connect too
the Samsung HDTV ?.

I have RG 59 cable & connectors HDMI CAT RCA along with that little square ended connector which I can't recall the name of at the moment.

Sears is the exclusive reseller for the DTVPal DVR. You can find it at Sears.com here. Sears may offer a 10% off coupon on Black Friday if you wait a few weeks.

I think most extended warranties are a waste of money, but the DTVPal DVR is an exception. I highly recommend that you purchase Sears' extended warranty for $50. Sears will give you that option on checkout. The unit itself only includes a 90-day warranty (to cut costs), and some members have had these fail after 6-9 months.

You would connect the RG59 from your off-air antenna to the DTVPal DVR. Then you'd connect the DTVPal DVR to your Samsung HDTV with HDMI. If you need another HDMI cable (it doesn't include one), order one here.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-18-2009, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

OK ; Thanks to all for the info and responses . Black Friday OK !.

Will venture down that road . Doc ...
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page