DTVpal DVR remote scared of the dark. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-20-2009, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this sounds crazy, but bare with me. Last Christmas I bought my parents a Dish's DTVpal DVR. Almost right away they started having problems with reboots and such. They live 25 miles away, so I don't get there often to diagnose, but after installing firmware updates, many of their problems went away. I'm not sure if they are on the newest firmware right now though.

OK, my father says that the remote works fine until it gets dark, then he can't change the channel, the volume works, so it seems to be a problem with the DVR. Then he says that if he turns on the light, it works again. I can't think of a single explanation for this, but he says it happens every day.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-20-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tell your father to look for a light sensor or daylight sensor in his TV settings. Turn that off and it should eliminate the problem.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-20-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

In the TV settings or the DVR? The problem is changing channels through the DVR, the volume(through the TV) works fine.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-20-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Keith View Post

In the TV settings or the DVR? The problem is changing channels through the DVR, the volume(through the TV) works fine.

It's a TV setting.

Many newer LCDs and plasmas have a feature called a "light sensor" or "daylight sensor." This feature uses IR to determine the ambient lighting conditions in the room, and then alters the contrast or brightness for the room lighting.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-21-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

I will try that next time I talk to him, but talking him through unknown menus is hard. If you don't mind me asking why would this effect the DVR remote?
post #6 of 7 Old 11-21-2009, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Keith View Post

I will try that next time I talk to him, but talking him through unknown menus is hard. If you don't mind me asking why would this effect the DVR remote?

The "light sensor" feature emits IR signals that interfere with many popular STB and DVRs. Furthermore, certain brightness and contrast settings on some displays also interfere with IR signals from many remotes; if the "light sensor" is active, that means the TV is using different settings during the day and at night.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-21-2009, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well after a frustrating half hour on the phone trying to talk him through it,(sony didn't have the manual on their main site, but on another site I found it) it looks like this has worked. Why a light sensor would actually emit IR is beyond me, and why it would interfere with remotes is just dumb.

Thanks for the help.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page