External HD with Fios DVR's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FIOS is finally being deployed to my neighborhood, and I'm thinking about moving from Cox. At the present time my Cox DVR box has an E-SATA port that I have an external 1TB HD connect to; and that significantly increases my storage. From the photo's on the FIOS site, it doesn't appear that their DVR box has an interface for external storage, and their stated 20 hours capacity for recorded HD content is way too low.

I guess my options are to:
stay with Cox
move to FIOS with limited storage
move to FIOS with my own HTPC (and Cablecard - which I guess FIOS offers), and then have lots of internal storage in the HTPC.

Does anyone have experience with FIOS and expanded DVR storage? I would hate to make the move and then discover some unknown limitations that I can't live with.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-23-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Verizon's boxes do not support storage expansion. If you want storage expansion with FiOS, you have to buy one of the following: Moxi, TivoHD, or CableCard PC. The Moxi and TivoHD both support dual tuners with a single CableCard from Verizon ($3.99/mo), and allow use of 1TB or larger external drives.

See the comparison chart linked in my signature for more information on these products.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page