TWC Moto DCX3400 shows my external USB HDD in Diagnostics. Help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-23-2009, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok guys... I've got a few external drives which I'm starting to test out on the USB and eSATA ports on my Motorola DCX3400 HD-DVR to see if anything works.

First off, I'm in Seal Beach, CA and have Time Warner Cable (former Adelphia).

My Motorola DCX3400's specs:
- Model: DCT (???? This box is a DCX3400)
- S/W Ver: 74.54-4003
- Firmware: 22.37
- 320gb Western Digital HDD (internal)
- Data Ports: USB 2.0 x2 - Firewire, eSATA, HDMI, LAN, etc
- System RAM: 256mb (shouldn't this be 512mb?)
- FLASH: 64mb

When plugged into USB, in the diagnostics menu under 'interface/port status', the drive shows up as being:

USB001: Seagate
Mass Storage: External

And on page 1 of that menu which shows which interfaces are enabled and which ports are active, ALL interfaces say YES except for 'Smart Card', 'RF Bypass', and "MoCA AUTHORIZED", and both INTERNAL and EXTERNAL

On the right column (Active), ones that say NO are 1394, DOCSIS, Ethernet, Smartcard, RF Bypass, MoCA Authorized, and Internal.

A few of those NO's are only due to the connection not being used.

This drive is a Seagate Momentus 7200RPM 160gb 2.5" 16mb in a NexStar3 USB2.0/eSATA case.

Now... if the diagnostics menu actually identifies the external hard drive (but not very well), It leads me to believe that I just don't have the drive properly formatted (or left with only a generic partition setup)

Since this drive is seen by the DVR, do you guys think that with the correct file system formatted onto the drive that it would work? Or if the cable box would format it for me if I leave the drive partitioned or unallocated empty?

I've got a few more drives I can test out as well in external cases.

- 640gb Western Digital 7,200rpm Caviar Black Series 3.5"
- 250gb Western Digital 7,200rpm Caviar Black Series 3.5"
- 320gb Seagate 7,200rpm 3.5"

All of these larger form factor drives have cases which have USB2.0, Firewire, and eSATA, so I'll try them all out.

Oh... and a good friend of mine is management @ Time Warner Cable here in Los Angeles and he informed me that my box SHOULD work via USB2.0. He didn't know off the top of his head when I asked about formatting how it should be done.

If you guys have some imput, i'd appreciate it.

-Andrew K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-23-2009, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post

Now... if the diagnostics menu actually identifies the external hard drive (but not very well), It leads me to believe that I just don't have the drive properly formatted (or left with only a generic partition setup)

Since this drive is seen by the DVR, do you guys think that with the correct file system formatted onto the drive that it would work? Or if the cable box would format it for me if I leave the drive partitioned or unallocated empty?

The DVR uses its own proprietary filesystem, so no matter what you formatted it as, it wouldn't matter. Also, just because the USB stack is aware of model information doesn't necessarily mean that it's able to use it - all that means is that the USB stack is receiving model information about plugged-in devices (which is encoded in the product information pages that a device sends to the host on plug-in - thus all that means is the USB stack is active).

Quote:

I've got a few more drives I can test out as well in external cases.

- 640gb Western Digital 7,200rpm Caviar Black Series 3.5"
- 250gb Western Digital 7,200rpm Caviar Black Series 3.5"
- 320gb Seagate 7,200rpm 3.5"

All of these larger form factor drives have cases which have USB2.0, Firewire, and eSATA, so I'll try them all out.

The Firewire/IEEE1394 ports are only used for AVC/1394 transport on cable boxes that have them, not for SBP2 storage. USB and eSATA are the most likely possibilities, but last I knew Motorola still hadn't got around to making external storage work on any of their boxes - so don't be surprised if it still doesn't work.

Quote:

Oh... and a good friend of mine is management @ Time Warner Cable here in Los Angeles and he informed me that my box SHOULD work via USB2.0. He didn't know off the top of his head when I asked about formatting how it should be done.

Based on what? That's been said by cableco employees about the DCT/DCH-series models, when Motorola themselves have said it never worked. Not to speak ill of your friend, but just because he says it doesn't mean it's necessarily true. Miscommunication and misunderstanding are pretty common with employees of cable MSOs (I know from my own misadventures dealing with them).
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General