Suggest a PVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-15-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
... that has integrated tuner, HDD and wi-fi. Minimal storage capacity is fine.

I don't have cable/satellite, just an antenna (boosted). I get some HD signals, it would be nice to have, but 95% of what we want to record is in SD.

I wanted to buy an unit like a Tivo series2 or better. No HD I understand (at least for recording). What I don't understand with Tivo is what exactly are the monthly fees for? And they mandatory? Can I operate the unit to record a signal without being suscribed to Tivo? On their site, you can't buy a new Tivo without taking on of their service plan$.

I had a look on the Archos TV but there is no entry for my analog coaxial entry so I am lost.

I'd like to hear some other suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-15-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The available OTA DVRs on the market are compared in the AVS DVR Comparison - Consumer Owned Units sticky.

TiVo requires a subscription, paid monthly/yearly or as a single upfront fee. From the FAQ:

Quote:

Why does TiVo require a subscription??

TiVo sells their DVR for ~$100 below their hardware cost, and does not factor the cost of the software, support, or the guide service into the retail price of the product. TiVo decided that most consumers would rather pay $200-$250 with a subscription than $600 upfront. If a customer wants to pay $600 upfront to eliminate all future fees, TiVo gives that option with a lifetime subscription.

There are several less expensive OTA DVRs. Each makes tradeoffs to hit a lower price. Refer to the first four entries in the table linked above.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-16-2009, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

This comparo of features is very complete.... txs.

However, I didn't find one that does it all yet.

Until I find a mature/complete device, the solution might be in this;
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...a_hvr950q.html

on my laptop & Windows Media Center. My laptop is often connected to my TVs anyway.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A tuner for an existing Windows 7 or OSX PC is a much more cost effective way to record OTA. If you feel comfortable connecting your computer to the coax every time you want to record TV, and you have no problem connecting your computer to your TV on a regular basis, and you don't mind dealing with video output issues (i.e. lower quality picture with many video cards), then by all means, go for it.

Many people simply want a "toaster" to record their favorite shows, and that's not what you get with a Windows or Mac computer.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-20-2009, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered the 1950 instead of the 950. BTW it is the USB, not the coax that needs to be plugged/unplugged.

Does anybody have a Playstation3 with Sony TV tuner and use it as a DVR (analog or digital)? If so, I might have some buyer remorse.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-20-2009, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post

I ordered the 1950 instead of the 950. BTW it is the USB, not the coax that needs to be plugged/unplugged.

Does anybody have a Playstation3 with Sony TV tuner and use it as a DVR (analog or digital)? If so, I might have some buyer remorse.

The PS3 cannot function as a DVR for the North American market. Sony only offers a DVB-T tuner for the European market; North America uses a different, incompatible system.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-14-2010, 09:37 PM

It really sucks that the Moxi unit does not work with OTA signals. Tivo seems to be the only full featured competitor and it has the steep monthly fee. It also does not support DLNA for streaming video from a PC (can always use another device for that but it would sure be nice to have them in the same unit). The Moxi unit looks great, too bad they crippled it by not putting a tuner in it. Maybe I could build a HTPC that does the same thing, but I think it would be tough to get all the same functionality and the stability of a dedicated device.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2010, 06:36 AM

Maybe if AVS Forum members email Moxi to ask why they don't have an OTA HD box they might go ahead and make us one, it can't be that hard can it?
post #9 of 9 Old 02-22-2010, 09:00 PM

Liked: 11
I have been looking for a way to replace my time warner rented DVR, but after much comparison and calculation, there isn't one DVR solution that comes close to subscription based DVR systems (cable provider or TiVo) otherwise it either costs much higher or there isn't a single one solution that does it all. The reviews I read about Hauppauge had always problem with one or the other broadcasting standards, it would either work with ATSC but would have problem with NTSC, or it would skip many CQAM channels, or it would have issues when switching from ATSC to NTSC or in CQAM when hooked up directly to coax.

My TV finds and tunes/maps all the channels I would need without the box, so that concludes that I don't need the cable box to watch any channels, I simply need something that can record what I see on my TV (or have a similar external tuner that will catch the same channel line up) and just be able to watch it.

Has someone built a HTPC/DVR with a hauppauge tuner + hdmi video card and be able to confidently say that it does everything a TV & DVR can do (tuning+recording) and not miss/lose any channels that they would otherwise get? If so, please share so we can apply the same.

No More Cable Box
Time Warner Cable NYC | ATI OCUR Cable Card Tuner | Windows Media Center 7 | Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter | HDHomeRun Dual | Unlimited Possibilities & Customization
KDL52W4100TV
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page