Did the Dish 722 loose a tuner??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-27-2009, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did the 722 loose the OTA tuner when it became a 722k? I just dumped cable and re-signed up with Dish. I'm sure I remember my 722 a year and a half ago having an OTA tuner. The new 722K I was delivered today it appears does not have a OTA tuner. There is no Ant. in ( that was the first clue) and when you go to the menu where you would scan channels, it is disabled (grayed out).

I was right the 722 did have the OTA tuner and the 722k does not. But $30 for the tuner isn't to bad.

Has the 722k been de-featured in any other ways?

Are you looking for a mentor
www.winningonlinebusiness.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-27-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

Did the 722 loose the OTA tuner when it became a 722k? I just dumped cable and re-signed up with Dish. I'm sure I remember my 722 a year and a half ago having an OTA tuner. The new 722K I was delivered today it appears does not have a OTA tuner.

The ViP722K is a design refresh based on the same next-generation CPU found in the upcoming ViP922. It dropped the single, built-in OTA tuner and added a slot for a dual-tuner OTA module.

With the $30-$40 OTA module, the ViP722K can record two satellite channels and two OTA channels simultaneously.

Quote:

Has the 722k been de-featured in any other ways?

No. With the OTA module, the ViP722K is superior to the ViP722 in every way. In fact, the ViP722K is essentially a ViP922 without the beta software and Slingbox encoder. It's more responsive and has the CPU necessary to support Dish Network's next-generation HD UI, something the original ViP722 cannot do.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-27-2009, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another question about the 722k. When I add an external USD hard drive is it like the old 722 in that it was simply storage space, you had to move content from the internal drive to the external drive. Or can you record to the external drive and use it in the say way the internal drive is used with the 722k?

post #4 of 6 Old 12-27-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Another question about the 722k. When I add an external USD hard drive is it like the old 722 in that it was simply storage space, you had to move content from the internal drive to the external drive. Or can you record to the external drive and use it in the say way the internal drive is used with the 722k?

External storage works the same way it did on the ViP722. The ViP722K uses the same basic software, updated to support a fourth tuner (2 OTA, 2 satellite).
post #5 of 6 Old 12-27-2009, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

External storage works the same way it did on the ViP722. The ViP722K uses the same basic software, updated to support a fourth tuner (2 OTA, 2 satellite).

I seem to have found something that contradicts that. Not saying you are wrong, I don't know but this seems to say otherwise. What do you think?

If you go to prefs > Record Plus > ERD Setup there is an option that states "Enable recordings to an external device". Doesn't that sound like you can record to the external device? Is it either external or internal and not the two, as if they were one big drive?

Thanks

post #6 of 6 Old 12-27-2009, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you go to prefs > Record Plus > ERD Setup there is an option that states "Enable recordings to an external device". Doesn't that sound like you can record to the external device? Is it either external or internal and not the two, as if they were one big drive?

From what I recall, Dish Network uses EHD to refer to external drives and ERD to refer to the PocketDISH mobile video player.

I haven't used a Dish Network satellite DVR in months, so I can't say for certain whether the external storage support is as you remember. My recollection is that recordings had to be moved manually. I can say for certain that the external storage options on the ViP622, ViP722, and ViP722K are identical.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page