AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Recorders (PVRs) General (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/100-digital-recorders-pvrs-general/)
-   -   Dish DVR Questions (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/100-digital-recorders-pvrs-general/1210350-dish-dvr-questions.html)

boonie45 12-27-2009 08:05 PM

Can anyone give me a good rundown on how the 722 is supposed to work? I haven't been able to find anyone who really, completely understands how these things work.

A few questions:

Is there any way to keep it from recording the exact same show on two different channels? (i.e. I have CBS on say, channel 8, and channel 3400. Often, not always, whenever a timer event is scheduled to record a show on CBS, it records the same show on BOTH tuners. This happens with every sporting event, and sometimes with TV shows.) This basically means that you can't set up a Dish Pass for sports teams - because you will get 2 of each game, and the other tuner is tied up for no reason. (By the way - I do not have both channels on my Favorites list.)

Also - whenever a timer is set to record a show on a specific tuner, say TV1, and you go to record another show, it doesn't always automatically choose the other tuner, TV2. Instead - it tells you that you will skip the event scheduled to record on TV1. Can you change the tuner that an event is already scheduled to record on?

Thanks! Any advice you could give would be great. I've been a Tivo user for most of a decade - and I'm finding this switch particularly frustrating.

Leesrt 12-27-2009 08:14 PM

Do you have your 722 set for one TV or two? Unless you have a second TV connected to your 722 set it for one TV.

If you have it set for one TV you can use the PIP feature.

In the settings you can set it to record to TV2 first.

I never use Dish pass because you end up with recordings of stuff you don't want.
I go to the show or game I want recorded and set it to record from there. If it's a game I set it to record 1 time and stop recording an hour after the end time.

If it's a show I like I set it to record all new shows only. If I want all the shows I set it to record all.

boonie45 12-27-2009 08:22 PM

I have two TVs connected to the DVR. I usually keep the DVR on Single mode - obviously unless someone is using TV2. I always have shows/games set to NEW only - however - it sees the multiple channels, both showing "NEW" episodes, so it records them both.

I have it set to record to TV2 first, and it works better than it did with the defaults, but programs that are part of a dish pass still can't change tuners to be flexible. Doesn't make much sense to me - with Tivo, it would simply record wherever it could, depending on priority. You never knew TV1 vs TV2, because you didn't need to!

Leesrt 12-27-2009 09:43 PM

Tivo didn't include two tuners for your satelite broadcasts.

This is going to be a question you'll need to consult with a Dish tech because there are a number of settings that need to be checked before it can be fixed.

I don't use dual TV's so I don't have so much of a problem.

bfdtv 12-28-2009 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie45 View Post

I have two TVs connected to the DVR. I usually keep the DVR on Single mode - obviously unless someone is using TV2. I always have shows/games set to NEW only - however - it sees the multiple channels, both showing "NEW" episodes, so it records them both.

You should have the option to restrict a DishPASS recording to a specific channel. I can't recall the specific procedure, but when you click SELECT on a program in the guide, you be able to choose between a timer and a DishPASS, and you should also have an Options selection.

Some Dish Network users opt to rely on timers, because "DishPASS" doesn't work nearly as well in practice as TiVo's implementation of Season Pass. To prevent duplicate recordings, TiVo compares every program / episode in the guide to a built-in recorded history see whether it was previously scheduled or recorded in the past, even if it is no longer stored on the DVR. Last time I used the Dish ViP722, it didn't appear to offer that functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesrt View Post

Tivo didn't include two tuners for your satelite broadcasts.

Yes, they did. The DirecTV TiVos were dual-tuner, as are all of their newer HD TiVos. TiVo just didn't output different channels through different outputs; dual channel output is unique to the Dish Network DVRs.

On a TiVo, all "season passes" are channel specific; they only record from the channels you create them on. The same should be an option on the Dish Network DVR.

I am less familiar with Dish's implementation of autorecord-by-search, which is what you would use to record, say, all new Yankees games regardless of channel. TiVo allows you to uncheck channels, and channels you uncheck are ignored by autorecord-by-search. If autorecord search finds two program matches showing on different checked channels at the same time, then the TiVo only records once from the lower numbered channel. As with season passes, all upcoming programs are compared to a recorded history to avoid recording the same program twice.