Playing saved programs on off-network DCT6412 III - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I used to have Adelphia digital cable, with a Motorola DCT6412 III STB/DVR. I had a fair bit of programming saved on it (mostly free channels, so no 5C protection or anything like that). The unit's diagnostic screen shows 76GB of saved data on the 120GB internal Maxtor drive.

Some time ago, Time Warner took over all of Adelphia's customers in the area, and provided everyone with a different brand of STB/DVR (SA 8300HD). They did not take the old Moto box, so I assumed I would still be able to use it to play the stored content. Unfortunately, they neglected to tell me that the switchover would apparently make this somewhat... challenging.

When I connect the Moto box to a TV and fire it up now, the tuner works, but unsurprisingly none of the digital features do. If I hit "List" or "Menu" on the remote (which is how I used to access the menu containing the "play back recorded shows" option), it says "One Moment Please. This feature is being restored and will be available shortly" and nothing more. It does this whether I have the box connected to the cable line or not; apparently TWC's head-end can't talk to these Moto units. It looks like the box is trying to "register" with the head-end somehow before offering any playback functionality, even though that should be a strictly local "operation."

TWC tech support said to call Motorola; Moto's tech support said "we only make the hardware. All the software is written by your cable provider, so call them."

Note that I am *not* asking how to retrieve the digital files off the internal drive (yes, I know they are encrypted). I just want to play the existing locally stored content.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance,

HJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I dont think you will be able to use the DVR features until the box is authorized by your provider. You should have transferred them through firewire to your PC/DVHS BEFORE they transitioned to a new hardware platform.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page